• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer liable for contracts employee enters?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bweb

New York, Ontario County.

My wife and I purchased a cell phone plan from a reseller for T-Mobile. The salesman promised us he would pay the cancelation fee from the old cell carrier that we incurred for switching. Needless to say, we received a bill for the cancelation charges. When I called the reseller, the manager said they would take care of it. Two weeks later, the manager claims that this is a personal issue between us and the salesperson.

I am filling out a small claim form. It is my belief that I should sue the reseller since the employee was acting as an agent for the reseller. Should I put the salespersons name on the claim, just the business name, or someone else's name? Anyone have a quick link to law backing up the idea that an employer is liable for the contracts entered into by an employee?

Thanks,

Brian Weber

You Are Guilty

bweb said:
New York, Ontario County.

My wife and I purchased a cell phone plan from a reseller for T-Mobile. The salesman promised us he would pay the cancelation fee from the old cell carrier that we incurred for switching. Needless to say, we received a bill for the cancelation charges. When I called the reseller, the manager said they would take care of it. Two weeks later, the manager claims that this is a personal issue between us and the salesperson.

I am filling out a small claim form. It is my belief that I should sue the reseller since the employee was acting as an agent for the reseller. Should I put the salespersons name on the claim, just the business name, or someone else's name? Anyone have a quick link to law backing up the idea that an employer is liable for the contracts entered into by an employee?

Thanks,

Brian Weber
Not that case law will help you in small claims, but the terms you'll want to be googling are "apparent authority" and "agency".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">