• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation/Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juicer

I live in NY state. My husband and I are separated. I left the home after an explosive argument and took my child with me. I have set up an new residence and my husband has bee agreeable to date with paying the bills we have jointly together. He claims that b/c he has 2 other children from a previous marriage that live with him he will not have to pay as much child support b/c of the 2 children who live with him. Also, he says that since we are separated (not legally)that he can date other people if he wants to and it is no concern of mine. Finally, he claims his "lawyer" told him that if he wants to get a divorce that he can just file even though I will not consent to it(becuase eventually I would like to reconcile) and he says that the divorce will be granted on account of our irreconcilable differences. Is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

juicer said:
I live in NY state. he claims his "lawyer" told him that if he wants to get a divorce that he can just file even though I will not consent to it(becuase eventually I would like to reconcile) and he says that the divorce will be granted on account of our irreconcilable differences. Is this true?
My response:

If this were the 1950's or the early 1960's, I'd agree with you. However, it's not, and he doesn't need your consent to divorce you, as was true in the "olden days".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">