• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

young person in need of lawsuit advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joew

A couple months ago someone started a fight with me. We got into an argument at first and he then punched me in the mouth. I had to go to the hospital to get stitches in my upper and bottom lip for 5 cuts. I still have scars today and will permanently. After I got back from the hospital I was a little drunk from earlier that evening and on some pain medication they gave me and I made a stupid decision to break his car window. The next day I was questioned by the cops and I confessed by stating in writing "I regretably caused some damage to his car." I found out that there was also other damage that wasn't caused by me done to his car's paint. The total came out to about $4000 and he had to pay a deductible and he had to rent a car while his car was being repaired. His insurance company is requesting $4000 for the damage...and could possible take me to court over it and he has filed a claim for $900. Since all I did was break the window, I dont feel that I should pay the full amount to either of them. They are assuming that I did all the damage when all I did was break a window. The collection agency for the insurance company told me that in the police report it stated that I was responsible for the all the damage, but how could it say that when all I said was "some damage"? Don't they have to prove what I did in court anyway? I wanted to call it even with this person since he hit me in the mouth and caused permanent scaring and I figured I could sue him for a good amount ... but I didnt want to go through the hassle and stress of going to court. Should I try to pay partial payment to either of them (insurance co. and the person)? I have no idea what to do ... I just want it to all end. The court date is for the 2nd week of dec but I will have to postpone it since I will be out of town. I'm stressing about this big time. Any advise to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated. And another thing is that this happened on an Air Force base in California. I heard that all claims have to be filed in a federal court because it is on a federal installation, but I'm not too sure about that even though it was a lawyer that told me because another lawyer told me different. Thank you for your time.

J

Joew

Well I have already purchased plane tickets to fly home to New York for the holidays. They are non-refundable tickets. What should I tell them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">