• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mynee

I live in Houston, TX.

I have a co-worker who has run into a dilemma. She has in her possession a small dog. The dog was originally purchased for her daughter by the daughter's boyfriend's mother. The daughter and boyfriend have since split up and the daughter (and the dog) have returned to my co-worker's home, where they have been for the past month. Now, the boyfriend is upset and demanding the dog back. He claims that the dog is his and has proof through the bill of sale. Ironically, my co-worker has been caring for the dog since it came into her home.

Just today, the boyfriend called my co-worker, threatening to climb into her home through the doggie door to "steal" the dog back. She's very upset about this threat of invasion as well as the possible loss of the dog.

It has been my understanding that is a person has been caring for a dog for more than 7 days, the dog legally becomes their possession, unless there is irrefutable proof of other ownership, such as a microchip or ID tag. As far as I know, there is no such proof other than the bill of sale.

My confusion on this matter is this:

A) If the dog was purchased by the boyfriend's MOTHER for my CO-WORKER's daughter, does the boyfriend have the right to ownership simply because he has in his possession the bill of sale?

and

B) Since my CO-WORKER has been caring for the dog for more than 7 days, does that make the dog legally hers, regardless of any bill of sales?

Thanks for reading my post. I apologize for posting in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where else to post.

-mynee

JETX

mynee said:
It has been my understanding that is a person has been caring for a dog for more than 7 days, the dog legally becomes their possession
ROTFLMAO!!
I love these "I heard that" and "it is my understanding" of laws that do not exist.

If the dog was purchased by the boyfriend's MOTHER for my CO-WORKER's daughter, does the boyfriend have the right to ownership simply because he has in his possession the bill of sale?
Absent any ownership proof to the contrary, yep.

Since my CO-WORKER has been caring for the dog for more than 7 days, does that make the dog legally hers, regardless of any bill of sales?
No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">