• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Monies owed to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchssr

What is the name of your state? Florida

I read in a recent posted message that you can't get money out of a corporation.

I am in a small claim court situation with a brother-in-law who I am 20% owner and he is 80% owner. The corporation owes me money and I have filed in small claims court, am I not going to get my money even though I can prove he owes me the money through the corporation? I paid taxes on this money last year - 2004.

Do I have chance with my tax return and the Schedule K-1 (IRS Form 1120S) showing the amount I paid taxes on and the percentage of the business I own?

dcatz

You apparently reached your conclusion by taking information out of context.

A recent post concerned a judgment against an individual and a desire to enforce it against her business. The judgment creditor was told that there could be a problem with that idea, if the business was a corporation,rather than a sole proprietorship.

The response was intended to indicate that the judgment debtor and a corporation would be two separate and distinct legal entities. If the business was a sole proprietorship - eg. Jane Doe doing business as Jane's Dresses - the debtor and the business are one and the same.

You can enforce a judgment against a corporation or an individual or a sole proprietorship, but your choice of the best means is likely to be different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">