• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a police report count against your insurance record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?tx

my husband was hit in the front of his car today by someone changing lanes in front of him. They didn't pull over, and he had to follow them for miles before they finally pulled over. He got the insurance info, but when he called, the insurance company claimed the policy number was not valid. He was advized to file a police report.

When he went to the police station, they told him that if he filed, even if the wreak wasn't his fault, his insurance company would count it as if it was his fault and his insurance would go up. Is this right? I thought your insurance only went up if you filed a claim or someone filed a claim against you, why would a police report in which you state a wreak was someone else's fault cause your insurance to go up?

thanks.

tammy8

In most states, if you 1% at fault..meaning if you could have avoided the accident by defensely driving, you can be denied a claim. Usually this is not the case but you may still lose your "accident" free discount. Depends on the company and the state.

btw I work in insurance and the one time I was hit in a parking lot, I begged the girl that hit me not to call the police... She did and she was found at fault, but I lost my accident free discount. It doesn't matter that you work for the insurance industry or not, you are not left out.

Thanks for the response, from what i understand, Texas does not do a precentage fault thing... it was either your fault or it wasn't. he had an accident 2 years ago where he bumped someone in heavy traffic, so i don't think he has a no accident discount anyway...

texastepmom said:
Thanks for the response, from what i understand, Texas does not do a precentage fault thing... it was either your fault or it wasn't. he had an accident 2 years ago where he bumped someone in heavy traffic, so i don't think he has a no accident discount anyway...
Are the police going to assign fault in their report or are they going to say it's undetermined?

i have no idea if they are going to assign blame... my husband just went to pick up some forms from the police last night, and they told him if he files a report (a blue form?) it WILL count against his insurance... it just doesn't make any sense to me, why would they care if you got in a wreak if no one files a claim against you or if you don't get a ticket?

thanks!

texastepmom said:
i have no idea if they are going to assign blame... my husband just went to pick up some forms from the police last night, and they told him if he files a report (a blue form?) it WILL count against his insurance... it just doesn't make any sense to me, why would they care if you got in a wreak if no one files a claim against you or if you don't get a ticket?

thanks!
I don't believe an accident report would cause your premium to increase. However, if you file a claim with your insurance, it will show up on your CLUE report, which could make your premium increase.

I don't think CLUE gets information from police accident reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">