• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counter or New Claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SBLB

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have a one year lease that was signed by me and my landlord. He never gave me copies of the lease and now claims that it was a tenant at will. He took a $900.00 security deposit from me and never gave me a receipt or documents stating where/when it was deposited or how much interest it will gain during the year. I have asked for the documents several times.

When my husband and I originally looked at the apartment he wanted to charge us $975/month. We never said whether or not we wanted the place or not we just said that we would get back to him. The next day he contacted my husband and said that if you do work around the apartment when it is needed and I'll supply the materials I will rent you the apartment for $900/month. We accepted. We moved in on May 7th.

Upon Moving in there were some things that still needed to be done. The front doors needed to be hung, the threshholds installed, and a ceiling fan installed in the bathroom...some other things also but these three are the ones at hand as far as I know.

My husband hung the front doors immediately and the landlord stained the interior of the doors, but left the exterior of the doors natural (this is the side of the door that faces the common area/hallways). Not to long after installation the doors started to swell in the heat and the landlord complained that the doors did not open easily. My husband explained that the doors will swell because only one side of the door was finnished. He said that he would sand down the doors, but that it would continue to be a problem until they were properly finnished. My husband sanded the doors and again they stuck. He sanded the doors again and they were opening and closing properly as of 9/30/05 and the exterior of the doors were still not finnished by the landlord.

Upon moving into the apartment the landlord still needed to supply the thresholds and the ceiling fan for installation. After requesting the materials several times on June 16th the materials were dropped off. My husband told the landlord that the thresholds did not fit the thresholds properly. The landlord told my husband to rig it so it would fit.

On June 19th my husband was hospitalized and had major eye surgery for a severe eye injury he incurred at work. He was on bed rest until Aug. 14th. On Aug. 16th the landlord and my husband got into an argument regarding some work that he wanted him to do in an apartment upstairs. The argument resulted in the landlord giving us 1 month to vacate our apartment on August 18th.

On September 1st I told the landlord to use my security deposit as final months rent. He refused to do so. Upon refusing this he filed a small claims suit against both my husband and I for the above work not being completed for the amount of $700. The claim was dated Sept. 6th and I received it on Sept. 8th dropped in my mailbox. On Sept. 7th my husband completed the work. The land lord saw that the work was completed and they spoke about different things and materials that may still be needed. On September 12th I paid the landlord the final months rent.

We moved out of the apartment on Sept. 30th and showed up for our final walk thru and the landlord cancelled and rescheduled for 10/1. That apt was cancelled by the landlord and rescheduled for 10/3. That apt was cancelled by the landlord and rescheduled for 10/4. On 10/4 the landlord never showed up. We left the keys in the apt w/ the forwarding mailing address for the security deposit. I also followed up w/ an email.

After several attempts the land lord is refusing to give back the security deposit. He keeps changing what is wrong with the apt. I complained to the attny generals office and they tried to mediate. He has told them that he would give the security deposit back if my husband fixes the doors. The attny generals office has told me that the two should be seperate and has also told him that. They explained that he would have to give me back the security deposit and sue my husband for the doors. He has refused. I'm assuming that is because he is going to bring up the doors during the small claims that he is refusing to drop. The attny general suggested that I take the landlord to small claims court for the security deposit.

My question is do I counter the small claims that he has filed for the refund of the deposit or should it be a seperate claim.

The sooner I get some feedback the better for this is a very frustrating and time sensitive matter....Thanks in advance for your help!

dcatz

The reality is that the factors that might give your question greater importance in a higher court generally don't exist in Small Claims Court. I am not aware of a state that has a provision for compulsory counter-claims or cross-claims in Small Claims Court. In any event, there does not appear to be in your state. So questions like whether the counter-claim arose out of the same transaction(s) or occurrence(s) or interest in property etc. are not important. The reality is that it's highly unlikely that anyone will care.

If that's so, perhaps only tactical considerations remain. These could include getting to court more quickly, if you piggy-back your case on one that's already filed. If you don't, does the Court want to see you folks twice (no offense)? If you don't, might your landlord get a judgment before you and what then? If you don't, do you basically have to tell the same story to defend yourself against your landlord's case as you would in asserting your own? Maybe you can think of considerations that discourage it, but a counter-claim would seem to serve you better.

There is one other tactical point to consider: some counter-claims can be seen as a knee-jerk reaction to being served by the plaintiff. They're claims that "wouldn't have been filed but for". Maybe that means there's less significance or less merit. The opposite is true of yours and, in the course of your presentation, you should make the Court aware of your efforts with the AG's office and the like. Don't dwell on it but see that the Court recognizes it. Do the same thing, if you decide to file separately.

SBLB

Dss

Massachussetts...

Now the Landlord has contacted MA DSS and filed a completely false accusation against me. He wasn't even carefull in doing so. He said that I did horrible things to my children during the month of October at the apartment before I was evicted.

1. I moved out of the before 9/30
2. I wasn't "evicted".
3. It had to be him because no one even lived in the building

He is getting way out of hand.

Can a lawyer obtain the name of who filed an allegation against them?

SBLB

follow up

The allegations were found unsupported and the social worker stated that she was unsure if a lawyer could get the name, but that she was sure that a judge could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">