• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can the bank do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

noddy

I have been making payments on my grandfathers truck, he died a year ago this month,
so yesterday the bank came and took the truck they didn't write me a letter or anything, (just took it out of my yard)
they said they just found out he had died but the bank branch here knew when he died, so they have taken my payments for a year, then they took the truck, can they do that?
can I get my money back?do I have any rights?
they also took all my belongings that were in the truck and i had to go 150 miles to get my things back.
also it was my only mode of getting around,i have 3 children one of which is disabled, i live in Idaho.
Ihope there is something i can do its just not right.....

[Edited by noddy on 11-22-2000 at 10:29 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

noddy said:
I have been making payments on my grandfathers truck, he died a year ago this month,
so yesterday the bank came and took the truck they didn't write me a letter or anything, (just took it out of my yard)
they said they just found out he had died but the bank branch here knew when he died, so they have taken my payments for a year, then they took the truck, can they do that?
can I get my money back?do I have any rights?
they also took all my belongings that were in the truck and i had to go 150 miles to get my things back.
also it was my only mode of getting around,i have 3 children one of which is disabled, i live in Idaho.
Ihope there is something i can do its just not right.....

[Edited by noddy on 11-22-2000 at 10:29 PM]
My response:

Do you see that writing in RED up there? Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Also, you have posted your question(s) on the wrong Board. This is the "Lemon Law Board" and yours has nothing to do with the "Lemon Laws". Please go back to the "Forum Page" and choose the proper Board, perhaps Contracts, or Auto, and re-post there.

Thank you.

IAAL

N

noddy

sorry i posted on the wrong board,but you said..Do you see that writing in RED up there? I said i live in IDAHO!
have a nice day

J

JENNIFERALISE

noddy,
Although i feel for you; there is nothing you can do unless you were listed on the purchase contract as the buyer or co-buyer. You are classified as a third party driving a vehical that is the property of the finance company untill it is fully paid for by the owner/co-owner.
As far as the vehical being reposessed (which is what i do for a career) Idaho is a non-cure state. That means no notification needs to be sent to either party as to forwarn you. And it is your responsibility to retreive your belongings when this does occur. You might want to look into calling the bank and asking if you can assume the loan on this vehical or re-finance the car under your name.
Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">