• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident & Identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara McAlister

What is the name of your state? Iowa. I an acquaintence whom used my name on his paper plate of a truck he was driving. He had gotten the truck back in December 2003 and never got the title. I guess some bank in Florida holds the title with a $400 balance. He never did pay to get the title, so resorted to using a paper dealers plate. Every time the date expired he would fill out another paper plate and put on it another date - two to three weeks advance. He always had put his wife on the paper plate, until they got into a fight and then he put my name on it. Reason he used names other than his own is because he doesn't have a drivers liscence. He lives in Des Moines and I live about 30 miles away in a smaller town. He had our address because my boyfriend was in prison with him. I did not tell him he could use my name. In August 2004, he is in an accident and wrecks into 2 cars. He calls me and tells me that his truck is impounded and that he had gotten in a fight with his wife and then put my name on the paper plate, now he can't get it out of impound unless I go sign for it. So I did. Then the other peoples insurance companies started to call me. I told them I was not the owner of the truck, but they just want their money. I had car insurance at the time on my own vehicle, but told my insurance company they shouldn't be liable for this accident. Finally they sue us in small claims court. I denied the claim and showed up for the court date. The guy showed up afterwards, the other peoples insurance co. representitive told me she was dismissing the claim on me without prejudice. They gave the guy who had the accident their address & phone # to get set up in a payment plan. Obviously he didn't, cause now 6 months later I get a letter from the DOT stating my liscense and registration rights are suspended under provisions of sections 321A.13, and 321A.14 of the Code of Iowa until judgment is satisfied. It says I am not entitled to an appeal. That day at the court room the judge said this is dismissed against you 'without prejudice' and explained to me that that means they can come back on you and the insurance representitive said "But I'm not going to" I signed the paper and thought I was done with it all finally. The judment claim is for $5637.10! Is there anything I can do to prove that I am a victim of identity theft and get my liscense back. The guy has told them he used my name without my permission or knowing.

teflon_jones

Why did you sign for him to get his vehicle back? That's going to make it pretty tough for you to say you're the victim of identity theft...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">