• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

for the man who wants his backpay and the man who is worried about till shortages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turbowray

What is the name of your state? Oregon...to the question about how long an employee has to give you your money in a case of a firing...they have 3 business days to mail it or give it to you when you go in...i would suggest going in with another person when asking about your final paycheck so that if they refuse again that you will have a witness...they may say that you cant be on the premises but i dont know if they can inforce it unless they have personal security or a complaint filed with the police department...you can also send a certified letter that has been notorized asking for your money...make a copy of it and send it to yourself but dont open it!! If it goes to court this is proof of you asking for your money and they can not say they didnt recieve the request because it will have to be signed for since it is notorized....you can also call the better business bureau...good luck!! For the man who said he doesnt know if he is only to blame for the money being short he must go in and get a copy of this paper to see if it states that he is the only one on or in the till. If it does ask your supervisor to revise it because you are worried about the shortages and ask if it is possible for no one else to touch it so your name can be cleared....Also ask for proof that the other employees who are in this till have signed a paper that states that they are also responsible for any shortages since they have access to the money also...if this gets you no where, i would also write a letter to whom it may concern about your concerns and mail it to yourself so if it goes to court one day, you can say that you had these concerns and tried to get management to make sure that you are the only one in the money and they did not do so,so you wrote this to prove that you were ready to defend yourself and your concerns before any action was taken against you...good luck to you!!!

pattytx

Again, the BBB has nothing to do with this. The BBB handles consumer complaints, not employment law. And they have no legal power to do ANYTHING!

Final pay in Oregon is defined here. It's not 3 days.
http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/T_FAQ_Tafinpay.shtml

If you have not received your final paycheck in accordance with these regulations, contact the state Dept. of Labor and file a claim for unpaid wages.

Turbowray is recommending you make a big stink out of this. Just file the claim. Going ballistic is not going to win you any points with anybody.

mycarlb

patty... I have a question about NY law... I couldn't find it anywhere... when my brother was let go, they made him wait 2 1/2 weeks for his final check... was that ok? I mean, it's a moot point now that he did finally get it, but I guess for future knowledge is why I am asking... thank you !

turbowray

hey patty just trying to help!!

pattytx said:
Again, the BBB has nothing to do with this. The BBB handles consumer complaints, not employment law. And they have no legal power to do ANYTHING!

Final pay in Oregon is defined here. It's not 3 days.
http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/T_FAQ_Tafinpay.shtml

If you have not received your final paycheck in accordance with these regulations, contact the state Dept. of Labor and file a claim for unpaid wages.

Turbowray is recommending you make a big stink out of this. Just file the claim. Going ballistic is not going to win you any points with anybody.
wow patty for one thing i was just trying to help and my knowledge is only based on what a boss who writes the checks told me...second off this company is accusing him of theft which is a felony...should he lay back and take it like a dead dog and say that is ok?? Maybe the going in part with someone was a bad idea i was having a bad day lol but you seem to downsize the whole situation and how wronged he was not getting his pay and getting let go over a theft accusation.....sorry but i was just trying to help...maybe you should have said thanks turbowray but you are incorrect instead of making me feel like a fool for feeling his pain and trying to help based on my knowledge....well thats it i aired it...maybe i wont try to help anyone anymore which is what i thought this site was about...turbowray

pattytx

Which is why, turbrowray, I give only facts that I can either back up with regulations or from my 27 years of experience in HR-related issues.

BelizeBreeze

turbowray said:
sorry but i was just trying to help...maybe you should have said thanks turbowray but you are incorrect instead of making me feel like a fool for feeling his pain and trying to help based on my knowledge....
If you don't want to feel like a fool make sure you research and can back up (i.e., prove) anything you state here.

We've had far too much "in my state" or "I've heard..." here that has caused enough damage or wasted time.

turbowray

ty patty

pattytx said:
Which is why, turbrowray, I give only facts that I can either back up with regulations or from my 27 years of experience in HR-related issues.
i think ill learn alot from you patty! Which state do you live in??

turbowray

ill do my best

BelizeBreeze said:
If you don't want to feel like a fool make sure you research and can back up (i.e., prove) anything you state here.

We've had far too much "in my state" or "I've heard..." here that has caused enough damage or wasted time.
i will do my best but if an h.r person at the place where i work is wrong because of conflicting laws and different states please dont shoot the messenger lol! Hope your having a good one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">