• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit & run prosecutability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tractatus

What is the name of your state? PA

hello. the other day i went out to my car and found a note slid under the windshield wipers. the note accused me of scraping someone's fender to the tune of $311.25 in repairs, and threatened that if i didn't contact the telephone number within a week they would go to the cops. first off, the note was incredibly unprofessional. for instance,the contact info said to call the person only at work, not at their home; in addition to this, the contact name had been whited-out and written over, as though the identity were changed.
anyway, the note charged that the scrapes on this person's back fender matched the color of my car, which is grey (very common color.) anyway, i have no recollection of hitting someone's fender in the past two years, and i don't drive around drunk or high, so chances are great that i would remember this. if there was no police report completed (the note mentioned none), does this simply become a case of my word against his, or would the authorities bother doing a paint-analysis thing for such a trivial case? second off, is there some kind of threshold for a 'hit&run' where a certain amount of minimal damage has to be met to fall under that category? cuz EVEN IF I HIT SOMEONE'S CAR and don't remember, i'm sure the damage would have been more like a parallel park .6 mph bump than anything moderately close to $311.
my friendds all tell me there's no case here and nothing to worry about, but i'm worried that if it gets caught up in the courts i could lose (4) pts on my license (the hit&run allotment in pa)--and since i already have (2) pts, this puts me around (6), which could (or could it not?) make my suspension get suspended.
any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

tractatus said:
What is the name of your state? PA

hello. the other day i went out to my car and found a note slid under the windshield wipers. the note accused me of scraping someone's fender to the tune of $311.25 in repairs, and threatened that if i didn't contact the telephone number within a week they would go to the cops. first off, the note was incredibly unprofessional. for instance,the contact info said to call the person only at work, not at their home; in addition to this, the contact name had been whited-out and written over, as though the identity were changed.
anyway, the note charged that the scrapes on this person's back fender matched the color of my car, which is grey (very common color.) anyway, i have no recollection of hitting someone's fender in the past two years, and i don't drive around drunk or high, so chances are great that i would remember this. if there was no police report completed (the note mentioned none), does this simply become a case of my word against his, or would the authorities bother doing a paint-analysis thing for such a trivial case? second off, is there some kind of threshold for a 'hit&run' where a certain amount of minimal damage has to be met to fall under that category? cuz EVEN IF I HIT SOMEONE'S CAR and don't remember, i'm sure the damage would have been more like a parallel park .6 mph bump than anything moderately close to $311.
my friendds all tell me there's no case here and nothing to worry about, but i'm worried that if it gets caught up in the courts i could lose (4) pts on my license (the hit&run allotment in pa)--and since i already have (2) pts, this puts me around (6), which could (or could it not?) make my suspension get suspended.
any advice would be appreciated. thank you.
Why would you get 4 points on your license if you didn't commit hit and run and weren't identified by the police as having committed a hit & run?

They can accuse you of anything they want, but they would have to prove it. How do you think they would do that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">