• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

needing info from buisness professionals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenny Olson

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a Manager in a restraunt, where I have been involved in a situation where one of my employee's made a mistake involving money. Where he came up short. I notified my manager who terminated him in accordance with the money policy in the employee hand book.

I might want to add, that I have only been managing for less then a year. With that said I am still learning the ropes. :)

I was contacted by my district manager, wanting to know what procedures was taken and ect. I explained to her what procedures was taken. She wanted to know if I followed policy as far and handling the money. She told me that the former employee was "comming back on them" stating the proper proceures was not followed, and for all he knows I (the manager ) could have taken the money. I was told that he may need to be reinstated.

Needless to say there was a "meeting" where the regional and district managers decided to reinstate this employee.

In a recent manager's meeting, It was told that if he brings up anything with in context of what had happened. He is to be written up for unprofessional conduct. And that he has be talked to about this.

As far as the policy and proceedures they of course changed since this situation.

My concerned is.... if I know this employee well enough, he will create a situation where I will need to write him up. The problem with that is, I do not feel I fully understand this term unprofessional conduct and the laws that support this term. Something I should have some knowlege about, before hand.

Any "more" experinced buisness professionals out there that can help me gain some knowlege in this area, would be appeciated......Please reply

Jenny

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The problem is that unprofessional conduct is not something that has a specific definition. Essentially it's whatever the employer says it is.

Beth3

Since you are still learning the ropes, if this employee should behave in a manner that is of concern, speak to your manager and see her guidance on how to proceed.

This is an "at will" employee and therefore can be terminated for any reason except a specifically prohibited one so you don't need to be concerned about the legal aspects here. It would be perfectly legal, for example, to terminate him for badmouthing the company or members of management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">