• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusing to train replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shrsandy

Georgia. My company may not win their current contract back that is due to run out soon. I have been laid off twice before and it took me four months to find a job. I don't want to wait until the last minute to find a job waiting on whether we win back the contact or not, so I told my manager I was going to start looking for a job and use my available time to look for one. I also said I would give two weeks notice if I found something. She had no problem with that.

My manager has now started interviewing for my position, even though I haven't gotten an offer yet. She says she also wants to be prepared. She said that if she finds a candidate that is very good and that they have a chance of losing that they will hire her and I would have to train her and be left with no job and out in the cold after two weeks.

My question is, if I refuse to train the new person, would it jeopardize my chances of getting umemployment if I don't stay and train the person?

Thank You.

BelizeBreeze

shrsandy said:
Georgia. My company may not win their current contract back that is due to run out soon. I have been laid off twice before and it took me four months to find a job. I don't want to wait until the last minute to find a job waiting on whether we win back the contact or not, so I told my manager I was going to start looking for a job and use my available time to look for one. I also said I would give two weeks notice if I found something. She had no problem with that.

My manager has now started interviewing for my position, even though I haven't gotten an offer yet. She says she also wants to be prepared. She said that if she finds a candidate that is very good and that they have a chance of losing that they will hire her and I would have to train her and be left with no job and out in the cold after two weeks.

My question is, if I refuse to train the new person, would it jeopardize my chances of getting umemployment if I don't stay and train the person?

Thank You.
You do not have to train your replacement and the company does not have to keep you around. This has nothing to do with unemployment.

Of course, the company will simply say they accepted your two-week notice early and there's nothing you can do about that.

So, quit playing games.

Beth3

I'm going to take a different track than Belize did. If you refuse to train the new person that will be insubordination and if your employer fires you because of it, they will have very good cause to contest your eligibility for UC benefits.

Having informed your employer that you intend to quit as soon as you find a new job, you didn't really expect them to wait around and twiddle their thumbs until such time as you decided you were ready to leave, did you? Of course they needed to proceed with finding a backfill for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">