• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperately seeking divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dreamgina

Desperately Seeking Divorce

I was married almost 20 years ago, I left the marriage 17 years ago because of physical abuse. We had a daughter whom I raised since she was 3, she is now 19. He has not tried to see his daughter since, nor has he ever paid any child support (I requested none because of the domestic violence). The last I heard (about 2 years ago) he was in a mental hosp. somewhere in Mannassas, VA. I have since lost contact w/ his family. I have been living with someone for 12 years and now would like to marry again. What is the best way to go about getting this divorce?

I now live in AZ. We were married in NJ.

[Edited by dreamgina on 11-23-2000 at 04:55 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You file for divorce in Arizona.

Your attorney will attempt to locate your husband and, if unable to do so, will have the Summons published in a newspaper of general circulation in the town where you last knew your husband to reside. This method is complicated and costly; i.e., writing the motion for publication, obtaining orders for publication, and the costs of the publication of Summons itself. It's also a lengthy process, taking far longer than if your husband was available for "personal service" of the Summons.

If he fails to see the publication, or if he sees it, but fails to take any action, your divorce will be granted by default.

IAAL

D

dreamgina

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">