• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal agreement in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monica40640

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I loaned what I thought of as a friend $660.00 to buy a boat with the uderstanding that he would pay me back $100.00 a week until the boat was paid off. That was on August 16th. I have called him and called him with no sucess. Do I have a claim in small claims court with a verbal agreement?

BL

Depends on what kind of proof you have .

If you have some proof , yes ..

If not , you should hope that the borrower owns up to the loan , or slips up in Court testimony ..

It would be up to the Court to decide on a verbal agreement ..

monica40640

are you a lawyer?

If not I don't care to hear your advise! Your not a nice person and you have already showed your colors in the few threads I've read!

:eek:

BL

monica40640 said:
If not I don't care to hear your advise! Your not a nice person and you have already showed your colors in the few threads I've read!

Thank You . My mother told me to use my manners :

Good luck in Court . I hope the Judge isn't rude to you , I'd hate to be a Fly on the wall , when you roll your eyes and bat your lashes , and the Judge gives you the Lowdown on the Law .

BL

Now where have I heard that name , Monica ?

Edit: Ahh heck , If the Judge won't rule in your favor , knock them in the eye , and make them pay up .. That sound Legal ??

Last edited:

dcatz

Regardless of what you think of your benefactor, you were given correct and complete information.

When you file, you become the "plaintiff". You have the "burden of proof". It's your responsibility to prove your case to the Court. It can't simply be "he said - she said", and that burden can be difficult with a verbal agreement.

If the defendant says that the money was a gift, you have to convince the Court that it was a loan or you'll lose. Carried to the logical extreme, if the defendant didn't show up or showed up but didn't say a word, you could hypothetically still lose. It becomes less likely, but the idea is that the Court must give sufficient weight to your testimony and evidence.

The thought that was expressed to you is that it would be advantageous if you had some evidence - any evidence to support your point. Otherwise, it's possibly back to "he said - she said", and hope the defendant misspeaks. If you presently have nothing at all, do you think that you could get the defendant to make some written acknowledgement in response to a letter? It doesn't have to be direct. Anything helps.

And this is just re-stating what you were origninally told.

Last edited:

Motherto6

monica40640 ~ You need to learn some respect! You are asking for free advice from people with more experience than you. Although you may not "like" BL you need to respect him and his opinion. FYI

Just Blue

monica40640 said:

Are you mental? :confused: BL gave you very good LEGAL advice...AND said it nicely! Maybe next time you should pay an attorney for advice, it should run you about...hmmm...$200.00-$500.00 an hour! :p

monica40640

Mental

Mental seems to be the word of choice around here... hmmm looked in the mirror lately?

All I was STATING... for all you MENTAL's is that you guys are MEAN and obviously full of HATRED. People don't come here to hear that stuff. They don't want to be slammed because they don't know the LAW... and by the way the last time I checked this WAS A FREE FORUM.

Somebody needs to monitor this board more. Maybe people would actually get what they came here for.

Attorney's???? IF you are, you all need to go back to law school and learn the meaning of "Mature"

I don't need your stupid slamming of anybody's intelligence anyway.

monica40640

Ha Ha Ha

baystategirl said:
Are you mental? :confused: BL gave you very good LEGAL advice...AND said it nicely! Maybe next time you should pay an attorney for advice, it should run you about...hmmm...$200.00-$500.00 an hour! :p
Hey Mental - You can always call an attorney and get at least 1/2 hour of free advise over the phone! I think EVERYONE knows that much!

Thank you all for whatever advice you have given me and the rest of you should listen to your mothers. If you don't have anything NICE (in this case helpful) to say DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

What if I am Mental?? Can I kill and get away with it??? :p

Just Blue

Blonde Lebinese said:
Depends on what kind of proof you have .

If you have some proof , yes ..

If not , you should hope that the borrower owns up to the loan , or slips up in Court testimony ..

It would be up to the Court to decide on a verbal agreement ..

Okay Monica....Please tell us what is nasty about the above response to your post??

Oh....and if I were you I would edit that last post....or you may find yourself out of here!

BL

baystategirl said:
Okay Monica....Please tell us what is nasty about the above response to your post??

Oh....and if I were you I would edit that last post....or you may find yourself out of here!
The Poster Like many that come here , respond in that way , when we do not give them the answer the want to hear .. Plain and simple .

The poster will be ignored by me at least ...

monica40640

wow.. what a threat!

baystategirl said:

ewwwwwww I'm scared...

The reason I responded that way was because I have read some other postings that were very nasty. I don't think it's right when desperate people come here and ask for help and get crapped on for it, that's all.

Sorry if I offended any of you..... Honestly, I am. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">