• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant fell off a ladder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gglife

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA

I am the owner of a storage facility. A year ago a tenant offered to help another tenant move something in his unit. He set up a ladder, climbed up and fell off. I was not a witness to the fall but was on the premises. When I approached he brushed himself off. He never claimed he was injured and never requested money for any injuries.

Flash forward to three weeks ago. The above mentioned tenant was given 3 days to vacate for delinquent rent and violating facility rules. He removed 95% of his items and has not been seen since. Yesterday, I was served with a small claims lawsuit for medical bills and suffering for the above mentioned fall.

He is going after me personally, not the business. I don't believe he has much of a case, however, I want to proceed carefully.

BelizeBreeze

gglife said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA

I am the owner of a storage facility. A year ago a tenant offered to help another tenant move something in his unit. He set up a ladder, climbed up and fell off. I was not a witness to the fall but was on the premises. When I approached he brushed himself off. He never claimed he was injured and never requested money for any injuries.

Flash forward to three weeks ago. The above mentioned tenant was given 3 days to vacate for delinquent rent and violating facility rules. He removed 95% of his items and has not been seen since. Yesterday, I was served with a small claims lawsuit for medical bills and suffering for the above mentioned fall.

He is going after me personally, not the business. I don't believe he has much of a case, however, I want to proceed carefully.
Tell him to BITE ROCKS. then give him the phone number and address of your attorney and kick his ass to the curb.

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Tell him to BITE ROCKS. then give him the phone number and address of your attorney and kick his ass to the curb.
I respectfully disagree.

I think the advice should be:

kick his ass to the curb....

gglife

Is it necessary to contact an attorney? Should I just go to court without contacting the plaintiff first? Will the court reschedule our hearing because he never asked for money prior to serving me? My son says to spend the money on a lawyer and have a "kick ass" letter written but I'm afraid the guy won't go away.

BelizeBreeze

gglife said:
Is it necessary to contact an attorney?
Only if you want to protect everything you own.
Should I just go to court without contacting the plaintiff first?
You should go to court and NEVER contact the plaintiff. That's why you hire the attorney.
Will the court reschedule our hearing because he never asked for money prior to serving me?
What hearing? He hasn't even served you yet. At least not in this thread.
My son says to spend the money on a lawyer and have a "kick ass" letter written but I'm afraid the guy won't go away.
So? Who cares if he goes away or not? Did you ask him to go get a ladder, climb up to a height where he was not allowed and then fall off?

Tell him to BITE ROCKS then have your attorney tell him to POUND SAND!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">