• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregiver background check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WisconsinIT

I live in Wisconsin, and have a question concerning caregiver background checks.

I recently applied for a job as a pc repair person at a medical clinic here in wisconsin. I passed all the interviews and reference checks, and was offered a position pending a caregiver background check and drug test. I filled out the background consent form and did the drug test.

Four days after, I get called to come down to their office. I speak to an HR rep there that tells me there is a problem with my background check. They said you were arrested in 1999 for felony child abuse. I said yes, this is true. They asked why I didn't disclose that and I said because the form asked for convictions, not arrests. I told them I was not convicted, the charge was ammended to a county level ordinance disorderly conduct. They said can you prove this. I said yes, and then asked if I could see their report from the DOJ. I showed them on their own report where it said the charge had been ammended to the latter. I said if you like, I will get you a certified copy of the ammendment from the court.

They said they would get it themselves, but first they wanted me to make a written statement of the circumstances surrounding the arrest and what the end result was. They said they had to forward all this information to people higher up who would then make a decision as to whether or not they could actually hire me.

I have some problems with all of this. As I understand the law here in Wisconsin, they did some things which are not supposed to happen...

1. They are holding an arrest record against me for hiring consideration.
2. They asked me to explain the whole thing, in writing, when the initial charge ended up being dropped down to something that wasn't even a crime.
3. The entire thing, even if I had been convicted, had absolutely nothing to do with the duties of the job I was offered by them.

Am I right on any of this? Or have I deluded myself. The simple fact of the matter is, that if I'm wrong, so be it, I can live with that and it's a lesson learned. But if I'm right, even if I am hired I intend to bring this whole thing up to their legal department, so that someone else doesn't have to go through this. If I'm not hired, I'm thinking about filing complaints with the proper governmental authorities. Can anyone help me out here?

BelizeBreeze

WisconsinIT said:
1. They are holding an arrest record against me for hiring consideration.
And where is this fact in your post? All you said was they asked you to explain it NOT that you were NOT being considered for the job any longer.
2. They asked me to explain the whole thing, in writing, when the initial charge ended up being dropped down to something that wasn't even a crime.
and you have the right not to do so. That's a personal decision.
3. The entire thing, even if I had been convicted, had absolutely nothing to do with the duties of the job I was offered by them.
so, if you murder someone you can still work in a hopice as long as you didn't kill an elderly or sick patient? You're stretching here.

to this point you have nothing. You can either do what is asked of you or not. But at this point you have no case for anything.

WisconsinIT

What I'm asking for is if I'm interpreting the law correctly. What I have read says that an employer cannot use an arrest record in consideration of hiring someone.

If the very report they obtained showed that I was arrested, but that the charge was ammended to a non-criminal offense, and that the matter has been closed for years... Did they have the right to even ask me about it?

I understand that I didn't have to answer their questions... But under Wisconsin law, should they have even asked me?

to quote you:
so, if you murder someone you can still work in a hopice as long as you didn't kill an elderly or sick patient? You're stretching here.

No... You've missed my point entirely. Background checks are meant to ensure that people who have committed crimes do not work in places where they could be a danger. You wouldn't want to put a child molester into a day care center etc... Regardless of the fact that you don't know the circumstances surrounding my situation, you could still answer the question. Because I think the law is pretty clear in Wisconsin when it says that an employer cannot consider an arrest record in the hiring process, and that a conviction must be for a crime substantially related to the duties of the job.

If anyone knows Wisconsin law on any of this, could you please simply tell me if this is true of all criminal background checks, or does the caregiver background check differ? Because from what I've read, it does not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">