• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold computer to a casual friend.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

netadmin

What is the name of your state? California

About one year ago I built and sold a computer to a friend for $220 to help him out. He was supposed to pay the full amount 5 days after I delivered it. Of course he had an emergency and was not able to pay. He then promised to pay $25 a week. He never did. Then after 6 months I asked and he said he had paid me the full amount. I told him that he did not. He admitted that he did not, said he forgot, said he would pay me when he got cash. This went on and on. To this day he has not paid me anything. There was no paperwork of course all verbal. He has not paid anything.
I found out that he was being kicked out by roomates for not paying bills. They offered to repossess the computer for me. I allowed it. I now have the computer in my possession.

Was it legal to take it back?
Is there anything that he can do to me for taking it?
Do I have to give him one more chance to pay?

JETX

netadmin said:
Was it legal to take it back?
Nope.

Is there anything that he can do to me for taking it?
Yep.

Do I have to give him one more chance to pay?
Nope. You can give him back HIS computer... and then forget the whole thing, or you can continue to allow him to 'play' you.... or you can file a small claims action against him.
One thing you cannot do is to 'self-help' your legal problem of his not paying.

netadmin

Thanks for the advice.

I will give him back the computer and forget about it.

Thanks for your help and please forgive my ignorance of the law.

netadmin

Curiousity

What could he do to me for taking it?
What should I say to him when I return it other than sorry?

Ellerge

Computer

IF (and I say IF) you agreed to sell him the computer, you were (legally) wrong to take back the computer when he did not pay for it. Take it back to him and hope that he does not press charges. BUT, IF you agreed that he could keep the computer ONLY as long as he paid you, then, when he did not pay you, you have every right to go get the computer. (Was there ever any paperwork re: the computer?). WAIT until he presses charges to make ANY futher decisions! IF you return the computer NOW and admit you stole it, this increases the probility of his pressing charges. If it were me, I would do nothing NOW. When, and if, he presses charges or takes me to Small Claims Court, (and no written document to the contrary), I would COUNTER with a claim that he promissed to pay me $750.00 for the computer! But, do what you think is best!

netadmin

No written documents

There was never any written documents. All verbal.

I did tell him that he needed to give me $225 to keep the computer. He never paid a single dollar. If he presses charges what do I do? Will the police arrest me for this?

netadmin

I see what you mean. I was just asking for any further advice from the above poster as to what I should do if the police show up.

JETX

netadmin said:
I was just asking for any further advice from the above poster as to what I should do if the police show up.
First, open door.
Second, say "Hello".
Then, 'wing it' from there....
And most important.... tell the TRUTH!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">