• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is going to happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Synacr0n

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

Ok so here is the exact statement I issued the insurance company:

"On 18Oct2005 I was traveling to work on I-695 in the center lane of the three lane highway, near the Rt. 40 exit. Traffic was beginning to merge from an on ramp in the right lane, I then checked to see if I could merge into the far left lane and it was clear. At approximately 7:40AM I began to merge into the left lane and before crossing the dotted white line I checked my blind spot again and noticed a vehicle appear I then re-centered myself in my lane of travel. The driver that was occupying the left lane swerved abruptly, presumably in a panic, lost control of his vehicle and unfortunately collided with the center divider. As soon as it was safe I made my way into the shoulder, stopped my vehicle, and returned to where the accident had occurred to verify that the driver was uninjured."

The state trooper that arrived at the scene issued ME a citation for "negligent driving." I plan on pleading not guilty and issuing the same statement in court to fight the ticket. I also found out that the guy who wrecked his car now has an attourney representing him to the insurance company.

Basically I want to know whether my case is strong enough to have the citation dropped (preferably from an attourney or judge), I am hoping that it is so i can fight the insurance to not put it on me on the basis that the court decided it was not my fault.

Thanks in advance for the help

teflon_jones

Your case doesn't sound to me to be strong enough to have the ticket dropped. However, that's just my opinion, and it really depends on how you present yourself and what the judge thinks.

Whether you get the citation dropped and whether your insurance company raises your rates are two separate issues, but they do have some overlap. If the citation is held up, your rates will definitely go up. But even if it's not held up, but the insurance company has to pay an at-fault claim, they'll raise your rates. Your only hope at avoiding surcharge is to get the ticket dismissed AND avoid having your insurance company pay a claim. Based on your story, that sounds doubtful.

Synacr0n

What do you think would help make it stronger?

I'm open to any suggestions, or comments.

But, I'm pretty adament that it is not my fault he wrecked his car. It was his over-reaction that caused him to lose control.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

And the other driver will tell the court that you did not signal your intent but swerved into his lane, thereby causing him to veer and wreck, facts which are born out by your own statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">