• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance and registration suspension dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fenderbender

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefined
New York NY
I have a major dilemma and would like to know the legal ramifications of the following, if any of you can help.
My car had not been insured due to a lapse in insurance coverage. My license has been suspended, and since then I have not driven. I have recently been trying to get insurance for my wife, but being in NY, I am told there are "no exemption" policies in which I must be listed on the insurance, and, therefore, no major companies wanted me.
I finally found insurance (at quite a premium I might ad, but that's fine), and got picked up yesterday. Once insured, I took my car to my local gas station, and got my inspection done, which would've expired 10/28. So that's fine. I went on DNV's website, & paid the $25 fee to terminate the suspension.
The only thing I thought I had to do left was pay the $8 per day, or whatever the daily fee, to pay the civil penalty and get up and running. I was told I may have been doing this backwards, though it's good I'm taking steps. DMV told me my registration was suspended in addition to my license.
They suggested I turn in my plates, then ask when I could get a "Restricted License" & subsequent registration again, but at a later date.
My question: Is there no other way to do this other than lose my car for an extended period of time. My wife's license is immaculate. I have paid for insurance, but DMV said that may have been a waste. Can't she drive the car, as she is the one whose new job entails a car, while I can still get to mine by train? I hvae kids who need ot go to school, etc, & this is our only car?
Do we have any options before I hand in plates & get told we can't drive it for awhile? What are the legal repurcussions if I do drive it with the insurance, inspection, and copy of the fine I paid to remove the suspension? I don't know felony vs. misdemeanor, so is it the kind of ticket I would be able to pay in front of a judge? Can I get the car in her name, or does the car have to sit for awhile with no registration?
If that's the case, can it be sold while not registered, & my wife look into a new car (something we could only do w/ proceeds of this car, not without.) Or is our only option to have her keep paying insurance and rent a car.

Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">