• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Morgan Littlejohn

My fiance was arrested for cultivation of marijuana & we posted bail (set at $10,000). We showed up to court on the day we were scheduled to & the courts advised us they were about 11 months behind & to call back every 2 weeks or so until they process his paperwork & get him a court date. We did as the courts said & about 5 to 5 1/2 months later when they still didnt have him in the system the police came by our house because of a noise disturbance. The radio was too loud. I turned it down & because my fiance & my roomate were drinking, in our own home mind you, they asked to see both of their ID's they arrested my fiance again as the courts had just issued a warrant not 3 days prior to this incident for his arrest. Now when i called the police department that night they told me the warrant had been issued for a failure to appear just 3 days ago. The following Monday I called the courts & they told me there was never a court date set prior to or after the arrest but it was ok for the DA to issue a warrant on a failure to appear when there is no court date. I dont understand this I thought everyone was innocent until proven guilty & are
entitled to a fair trial. Now my question to you is how can they legally issue a warrant on a failure to appear when no court date was ever set? He spent 6 days in jail due to this seemingly clerical error & when he had his araingment the judge let him off on his own recognicense. please help me with a little bit of advise on what we need to do.
THANK YOU

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">