• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kellypa

My sister in law is currently living in Georgia. She was married to her husband for over a year and they resided in Tennessee. After about a year, her husband said he didn't want to be married any more and insisted that she move out. They have no children.

They have been living apart since and he has not provided any financial support. She has just received legal papers in the mail from his lawyer requiring her to appear in court in Tennessee on 4 Dec. She is very worried because she cannot afford a lawyer and doesn't know what she is supposed to do. There are some unsettled financial matters; some credit cards bills, a bounced check and a phone bill.

What are her rights and her responsibilities reference the court appearance in Tennessee? I am advising her to seek legal representation, but since she says she cannot any, what advice should she be aware of?

Thanks. Appreciate any assistance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kellypa said:
My sister in law is currently living in Georgia. She was married to her husband for over a year and they resided in Tennessee. After about a year, her husband said he didn't want to be married any more and insisted that she move out. They have no children.

They have been living apart since and he has not provided any financial support. She has just received legal papers in the mail from his lawyer requiring her to appear in court in Tennessee on 4 Dec. She is very worried because she cannot afford a lawyer and doesn't know what she is supposed to do. There are some unsettled financial matters; some credit cards bills, a bounced check and a phone bill.

What are her rights and her responsibilities reference the court appearance in Tennessee? I am advising her to seek legal representation, but since she says she cannot any, what advice should she be aware of?

Thanks. Appreciate any assistance.
My response:

Your question is so general, and so over broad, as to render any advice impossible to give. There are innumerable items she needs to do, and to be made aware of, and too numberable to go over on a Bulletin Board.

She needs to scrape up the money to be advised by, and to be represented by, an attorney in the State where the Divorce is taking place.

Good luck to her.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">