• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination or Resignation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RiversandGems

What is the name of your state? California, County of Los Angeles

I have been asked to tender my resignation or be terminated. If I tender my resignation I will be "allowed" to work until the end of the calendar year.

Will I be able to collect unemployment if I resign?

Can I put in my letter of resignation that "to avoid termination I have been asked and hereby tender my resignation..."?

Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

RiversandGems said:

I have been asked to tender my resignation or be terminated. If I tender my resignation I will be "allowed" to work until the end of the calendar year.
That is up to your boss.
That is up to your state
Can I put in my letter of resignation that "to avoid termination I have been asked and hereby tender my resignation..."?

Thanks.
You can even put the Gettysburg Address in there if you want to.
whether or not it makes a difference is up to your UI hearing officer.

C

CheeseBlotto

RiversandGems said:

Depends on circumstances, but the general answer is no.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, resign-or-be-fired situations are often treated as terminations for unemployment reasons, so if the company supports that they asked you to resign it's quite possible that you will be able to collect UI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">