• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a non competition agreement a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike G

Hello I live in an Arkansas city of less than 30,000 population and work in automotive repair.When I started work for my employer I do not remember signing the following agreement but may have signed it at a later date when new policy's were instituted and I just wanted to get back to work.Now that I am prepaired to go into buisness for myself I'm concerned.What is your opinion of the following---Title---Non Competition Agreement---I agree to the following conditions of my employment.I will not make collision repairs or auto refinishing or go into direct or indirect competition with ******** owners or agents within a 50 mi. radius neither will I solicit buisness from any company or individual doing buisness with *********.I further agree not to manage , direct or influence any individual or company in direct or indirect competition with ******** for a period of five years after terminating employment.I agree to both wording and intent to the above agreement.
Thanks-Mike

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

"Non-compete clauses" in contracts are upheld for most professions if they are permitted in that profession, and are reasonable in time and space. Attorneys cannot be held to non-compete agreements because we don't want to restrict the public in access to counsel of their choice. The question is whether the time, space and language of your agreement would be upheld by a Court. I don't know. Check with an attorney who is familiar with the locale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">