• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

benifit termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

setak

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? rhode island
was recently terminated from my salaried job.termination was by letter dated 10-22 -05 ,with no explanation.i am not concerned about the termination but came to find out that my health benifits were terminated on 10 -20-05 without my knowledge. is this legal?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Assuming that this is what your insurance plan document says, and I have no reason to believe it does not, yes, this is perfectly legal.

In my experience (and I've worked with employer sponsored group benefits for over 25 years) about 50% of the time the plan document states that benefits terminate on the last day of employment, and the rest of the time on the last day of the month in which your employment ended. Both are legal; both are common. It is entirely reasonable to assume that your insurance plan document says benefits end on the last day of employment, and there is nothing whatsoever illegal about that.

setak

cbg said:
Assuming that this is what your insurance plan document says, and I have no reason to believe it does not, yes, this is perfectly legal.

In my experience (and I've worked with employer sponsored group benefits for over 25 years) about 50% of the time the plan document states that benefits terminate on the last day of employment, and the rest of the time on the last day of the month in which your employment ended. Both are legal; both are common. It is entirely reasonable to assume that your insurance plan document says benefits end on the last day of employment, and there is nothing whatsoever illegal about that.
i understand they may end on last day but they ended 2 days before

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not what your post says.

But even so, no, that is still not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">