• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close-16 year-old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SheriffBob413

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

I have a kid who bumped into the back of another teenager's car while making a left-hand turn. There were no other witnesses and no damage to either car. The other kid's parents called the police and they issued my kid a $100 ticket for "following too close". Any chance at all of beating this? My kid just got his license a month ago and I'm concerned about insurance and a possible suspension.

abaga

SheriffBob413 said:
What is the name of your state? South Dakota

I have a kid who bumped into the back of another teenager's car while making a left-hand turn. There were no other witnesses and no damage to either car. The other kid's parents called the police and they issued my kid a $100 ticket for "following too close". Any chance at all of beating this? My kid just got his license a month ago and I'm concerned about insurance and a possible suspension.
So, your son/daughter hit another car and you want him to get out of it? I understand the insurance, but the fact remains he did cause an accident. He needs to be held responsible. Why would they suspend his license for an ACCIDENT? They happen.

Since you know s/he is responsible for the accident, then let him pay the fine, get the cars repaired and move on. Your son/daughter needs to learn that accidents do occur, and while it is unfortunate s/he was at fault, they need to do the right thing.

Letting kids "beat it," doesn't teach them anything at all...except that mom and dad will "fix" it for them!

Last edited:

SheriffBob413

abaga said:
So, your son/daughter hit another car and you want him to get out of it? I understand the insurance, but the fact remains he did cause an accident. He needs to be held responsible. Why would they suspend his license for an ACCIDENT? They happen.

Since you know s/he is responsible for the accident, then let him pay the fine, get the cars repaired and move on. Your son/daughter needs to learn that accidents do occur, and while it is unfortunate s/he was at fault, they need to do the right thing.

Letting kids "beat it," doesn't teach them anything at all...except that mom and dad will "fix" it for them!
I don't disagree with your comments, but I believe there are extenuating circumstances here. First, he's not beating anything. He's not driving for at least 90 days (my decision, which I'm confident will teach him something). And he's paying the $100 fine.

There was no damage to either car. He literally tapped the girl's bumper, and even she said she barely noticed. They were turning in a crowded school zone, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and not moving more than 4-5 MPH. Neither the police or her parents could find a mark on either car. The parents only called the police because they said "we thought we were supposed to". Even they were surprised by the $100 ticket and court date. My understanding from reading the South Dakota licensing laws is that he may lose his license for up to 6 months since he is under 18.

My point was simply that I really feel this is excessive, taken in context with what happened, and and my biggest concern is what this may do to our insurance, and whether it will raise it to a point where we simply won't be able to permit him to drive at all.

abaga

SheriffBob413 said:
I don't disagree with your comments, but I believe there are extenuating circumstances here. First, he's not beating anything. He's not driving for at least 90 days (my decision, which I'm confident will teach him something). And he's paying the $100 fine.

There was no damage to either car. He literally tapped the girl's bumper, and even she said she barely noticed. They were turning in a crowded school zone, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and not moving more than 4-5 MPH. Neither the police or her parents could find a mark on either car. The parents only called the police because they said "we thought we were supposed to". Even they were surprised by the $100 ticket and court date. My understanding from reading the South Dakota licensing laws is that he may lose his license for up to 6 months since he is under 18.

My point was simply that I really feel this is excessive, taken in context with what happened, and and my biggest concern is what this may do to our insurance, and whether it will raise it to a point where we simply won't be able to permit him to drive at all.
I only used your words from your original post, "beat it," as this is what you asked in your original post...you wanted to know if there was any way to beat it.

I would explain everything to the judge in hopes s/he will understand how minor of an accident it was, and will have him/her pay the fine and let it go from there (at least in terms of just paying the fine and not suspend his/her license).

I also hit someone years back going literally five miles per hour. She claimed all sorts of injuries, such as TMJ, an incision opening up, even though it was from a surgery 18 months prior, mental distress, etc. Guess what she did...she sued, and guess how much she managed to get out of my insurance company? 95000.00! I had an insurance co. that thought it was just better to pay her out then to take the chance in court, even with the attorney saying to take it to a jury. We found information about her that could have helped us greatly in winning the suit, but they opted to go a different route.

I wish you luck!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">