• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Shop won't complete obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richardsjl

What is the name of your state? GA

Car Shop in GA. I am in the military residing in TN. Well over 2 years ago, I paid a shop to complete major work on my hobbie car. To this day the shop keeps giving me the run around about completing the project? I sent the shop a final message that I want the car done in the next 60 days. If its not complete by then what legal steps should I take?
I have probably $15,000 in reciepts payment to this shop (approx 90% of balance paid already).
* Is there a way to sue him for all monies and car return? Do I have to try small claims court? Should I check my local JAG office on the militry post?
Any advise will be appreciated!!

JETX

Richardsjl said:
If its not complete by then what legal steps should I take?
Your only LEGAL recourse to force them to complete their work or be compensated for their breach is to file a lawsuit.

Is there a way to sue him for all monies and car return?
You can sue the repair shop for anything you want; however, I doubt you will get both.... all the money AND the car. They are likely entitled to the value of whatever work they have done.

Do I have to try small claims court?
That is one way you can proceed. However, small claims court can only get you the MONETARY award of your damages.... and cannot order the return of the property. Your lucky though... GA small claims limit is $15,000.... equal to the amount you have spent.
If you want to try for the car return PLUS damages, you will likely have to go to a higher court... and that means attorney and higher costs.

Should I check my local JAG office on the militry post?
Your call on that.

Richardsjl

Shop

This is a big issue that I probably can't get both car and monies. In fact, when I dropped my car off I also handed the guy some expensive parts to start that I previously purchased.
He would avoid giving me a completion date!

Where would I start to file a small claims in GA? I reside in TN anyway to start it here without traveling?

When you say - higher courts...where would I start to file? What do they normal cost to start?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">