• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance accident report disclosures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freddie1117

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My son purchased a car from a used car dealer. He actually bought a truck whose engine threw a rod on his way home; then, was told if he'd choose another vehicle, they'd apply his down payment, otherwise he'd lose it, so he choose a Dodge Intrepid. He financed through a bank. Then, his Intrepid was totaled in a 3-car accident and his insurance company paid off the loan and he received $301 (minus $500 deductible). He had around $2000 invested, minus interest payments. In the insurance report, he discovers the odometer has been set back, way back, and that the car was in two previous accidents, hit once in the exact spot he was hit in in his accident. Going into the VIN information website, he found the vehicle has 13 reports on it, but hasn't yet paid money for the information they contain. Question is: can he recover any money from this used car lot or does the insurance company paying off the bank loan kind of void everything?

JETX

freddie1117 said:
can he recover any money from this used car lot or does the insurance company paying off the bank loan kind of void everything?
Based on your VERY confusing post... he can certainly ask for some accomodation from the dealer.... but there is no obligation for them to do anything.... UNLESS he can show that the dealer was aware of the false odometer statement.
It was HIS (buyers) obligation to investigate the vehicles history and condition prior to purchase.

Last edited:

freddie1117

Cornfused in MO

Thank you for your reply and sorry I am confusing, don't mean to be. I have another question posted under auto accidents which must be even more discomboobalating because 18 views and not one reply. I would appreciate if you'd give that one a look-see, too. Thanks, freddie 1117

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">