• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobraing Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryn14

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband was on LTD after having neck fusion surgery. His company threatened his job if he did not come back. He did go back, too soon and after about 2 months the pressure was too much and he went back on disability. He was OKed for LTD benefits and for other reasons the company fired him. In his termintion letter they stated we would receive paperwork to cobra his insurance. In the meantime I asked my company if I could add my family to my insurance and was told yes that I would need a form his company was sending in order to show continuous coverage for at least 18 months. Well that was 2 weeks ago and we just found out that we are no longer covered under his plan. Was his compay required to send this information since they said thy would in his term. letter? Also, with this break in coverage will I still be able to add my family to my insurance?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer has up to 44 days, legally, to provide you with the COBRA information. Your having asked for it does not obligate them to send it sooner. They are legally entitled to cancel the insurance until they have your first COBRA payment in their hands. They also were not legally obligated to keep it open until you were securely on other insurance.

You need to ask your husband's employer for either a HIPAA certificate (they'll know) or a letter indicating the dates that he was covered under the plan. As long as you can provide that within 30 days of the date of cancellation, you will still be able to add your family to your insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">