• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired because boss didn't like me! Legal in MD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jointhealb

First off, I live in Maryland. Long story short, I work in a group home. My boss was being verbally and emotionally abusive to the kids who lived there. I asked her to stop, she didn't. The kids took it up with the social worker in the house--who is friends with the boss--and so my boss asked me what she could be doing better. I told her, she told her supervisor. In the meantime, I went to HR to document it in case I wanted to sue. Her supervisor is the one who fires people (he has been now fired). He told me she didn't want to work with me anymore. I got fired on Wed. Is this legal? I did absolutely everything by the employee handbook. Going to HR is what we're supposed to do. Also, it says that if an employee has a problem with their supv, they will be transferred once to a different unit. So do I have a case? Can I sue for wrongful termination? I know MD is an at will state but I was terminated in retaliation. If I can't sue for wrongful termination, can I sue for emotional distress? Hostile work environment? Harassment? She did all these things for months in front of the kids and other workers who will attest to it. What are my options? Sorry it's so rambling, but I'm desperate! Thank you!

pattytx

If you had reported this to the government agency that regulates group homes, you would probably have been protected, or at least could have filed a wrongful termination suit. However, since you handled this internally, and the employer chose to fire you, even if it was directly related to your complaints, to my knowledge, that is not illegal.

It probably won't help you now, but it could sure help the kids if you would report it anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of the facts you have posted, you do not have a case for wrongful termination. In an employment at will state (which, btw, is every state except Montana and even occasionally includes Montana) you can be fired for any reason except one that specifically violates the law. Nothing in your post suggests illegal retaliation as defined by law.

I don't know if there is such a claim as "emotional distress" in your state but even if there is, I guarantee that what happened to you does not meet the standard. Such claims are EXTREMELY rare and generally require OUTRAGEOUS conduct. This isn't even in the ballpark of what it generally takes.

Unless you were being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin, etc.), you were not legally in a hostile work environment.

The same applies for harassment. Not all of what the lay person describes as harassment is actually illegal. Unless you were treated poorly BECAUSE OF your membership in a group protected by law, you were not illegally harassed.

So, no legal case that I can see on the basis of your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">