• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RSD & W/C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

driverdadof2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have been unable to work since July 31 and recently, I have been diagnosed with RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy). My employer is saying that he does NOT have W/C insurance and has "supposedly" been paying my medical bills out of his own pocket. He just recently started giving me $250 a week for comp (mid September), before that he gave me nothing.
The problem is, I like this man and before I got hurt this was the best job I have ever had. I bought home over $550 most weeks, sometimes as much as $950. With fuel prices being what they are, I'm afraid that he will have to close his doors pretty soon. My income was and is the only one my family has and now we are barely keeping the lights on.
There is currently no cure for RSD. My Dr. wants to try a Spinal Cord Stimulator to ease my pain. I am currently on serious medications for my pain but they don't help much. I will, in all likelyhood, have this for the rest of my life!
My question is: When, if ever, should I begin legal procedings to: a: make sure my family is taken care of
b: make sure all my future medical bills are paid
c: make sure everything that is in the Drs. power is done in order for me to recover fully?

I also would like to know what my rights will be when, and if, he has to file bankruptcy?

tjr5150

I have been diagnosed with RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)./QUOTE]

Is this related to work? I ask this because if it his and what you are saying is to be true, you might consider consulting with an attorney.. If this is something you have that runs in your family or just popped in one day then I would say your employer is not responsible..

driverdadof2

Illinois.
I sprained my ankle, on the job, in March of 2005. I have a Dr. that says and, is willing to testify, that my RSD was caused by this injury. Evidently, my employer does NOT have W/C insurance as he is the one who has been approving my medical procederes personally. This worries me as his business is not in very good financial shape. If he files for bankruptcy, how will this affect my future?
RSD is not genetic, to my knowledge. Although I had never heard of it until I was diagnoased with it.

abaga

tjr5150 said:
I have been diagnosed with RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)./QUOTE]

Is this related to work? I ask this because if it his and what you are saying is to be true, you might consider consulting with an attorney.. If this is something you have that runs in your family or just popped in one day then I would say your employer is not responsible..
RSD usually presents after an injury, and many times, a very minor injury. It is also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I have it and have had it for approximately 14 years. It was in remission for 2-3 years and recently started flaring again after a car accident.

I would tell the OP to definitely contact an attorney as soon as possible. RSD is a very expensive syndrome to have, and if the Dr. is discussing a Spinal Cord Stimulator, that expense is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000.00, and that doesn't include the hospital or Drs. When mine was put in, I was hospitalized for a week after surgery and had a bill of almost 90,000.00!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">