• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money instead of Rental Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelSF

What is the name of your state?California

Heres the situation. Someone hit my parked motorcycle. The motorcycle is currently in the shop for an estimate. I have a rental car, from the day the motorcycle was dropped off.

Someone told me , that instead of the rental car, I could get like 25$ a day while my motorcycle is in the shop. Is this true. I have my own car but figured why drive my car if I can drive a rental car for free, but if they are going to give me money, i will definately drive my own car.

JETX

MichaelSF said:
Someone told me , that instead of the rental car, I could get like 25$ a day while my motorcycle is in the shop. Is this true.
Nope. There is no obligation for compensation without your actually having damages. And if you tell them you have alternate transportation available... they will stop the rental you currently have.

MichaelSF

Actually the rental car company called me today to settle. My motorcycle is considered a total loss. So while we go through the paperwork, they are giving me 25$ per day for loss of usage, because I am no longer able to use my motorcycle. I wish I knew about this ahead of time.

JETX

MichaelSF said:
Actually the rental car company called me today to settle. My motorcycle is considered a total loss. So while we go through the paperwork, they are giving me 25$ per day for loss of usage, because I am no longer able to use my motorcycle. I wish I knew about this ahead of time.
Wonderful... that the other driver has such a good and understanding insurance carrier. Their offer to compensate in cash does not make it a legal requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">