• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Let Go" because an investor didn't like me and in front of other employees/Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ally2886

"Let Go" because an investor didn't like me and in front of other employees/Florida

I have been working in a restaurant in Florida for the past 7 months. I have been working since I was 15 and homeschooled. But I have always been told by past employers how nice I am to work with. I am kind of shy and not a loud person. At this job we used to have a questionaire that customers filled out and I always got compliments from my customers. I have never been complained about by anyone. I also go to cosmotology school full time besides working and I am a hard worker. Last night, after I completed my shift and the restaurant had closed, the night manager was laughing and told us all to come around him. We all thought he had good news for us. Instead he told us that sales were way down and an investor had come in the other day and told the owners he did not like myself and another new girl and to let us go. Then he said that the others needed to learn from this and get their butts in gear or they would be fired too. Then he told us to leave. Now is this legal? One can they fire us becasue someone did not like us? We obviously are not the cause of the bad sales.. the customers always complain the food is awful or cold and well it is. They even stopped letting customers fill out the survey forms because there was so many complaints about the food ands they didn't want the investors to see them. But is this wrongful firing and is it legal to fire us in front of other employees. I was so upset and crying as I had just been told the day before by another manager that I was doing so good they were going to let me go out and do some catering jobs. So I was shocked and upset.
I would appreciate any advice as to if I should call a lawyer and persue this.
thanks

HomeGuru

Ally2886 said:
I have been working in a restaurant in Florida for the past 7 months. I have been working since I was 15 and homeschooled. But I have always been told by past employers how nice I am to work with. I am kind of shy and not a loud person. At this job we used to have a questionaire that customers filled out and I always got compliments from my customers. I have never been complained about by anyone. I also go to cosmotology school full time besides working and I am a hard worker. Last night, after I completed my shift and the restaurant had closed, the night manager was laughing and told us all to come around him. We all thought he had good news for us. Instead he told us that sales were way down and an investor had come in the other day and told the owners he did not like myself and another new girl and to let us go. Then he said that the others needed to learn from this and get their butts in gear or they would be fired too. Then he told us to leave. Now is this legal? One can they fire us becasue someone did not like us? We obviously are not the cause of the bad sales.. the customers always complain the food is awful or cold and well it is. They even stopped letting customers fill out the survey forms because there was so many complaints about the food ands they didn't want the investors to see them. But is this wrongful firing and is it legal to fire us in front of other employees. I was so upset and crying as I had just been told the day before by another manager that I was doing so good they were going to let me go out and do some catering jobs. So I was shocked and upset.
thanks

**A: you have no legal issue. Move on.

JETX

Ally2886 said:
Now is this legal?
Yep.

One can they fire us becasue someone did not like us?
Yep.

But is this wrongful firing
Nope.

and is it legal to fire us in front of other employees.
Yep.

You can certainly contact a local attorney... but you have NO case. Though their actions might have been uncaring.... it is NOT illegal.

Ally2886

they lied

Ok I called my main manager and asked why I was fired and he said it was because they thought I was to quiet and did not have the outgoing personality they wanted for this job. He said that the other manager did not handle it the right way and apologized but is it ok that he lied and made me look like a fool in front of other employees? He also promised they would give me a good reference and not fight the applying for umemployment. But I am still afraid they will. If they do say bad about me to others can I do anything legal against them then?

HomeGuru

Ally2886 said:
Ok I called my main manager and asked why I was fired and he said it was because they thought I was to quiet and did not have the outgoing personality they wanted for this job. He said that the other manager did not handle it the right way and apologized but is it ok that he lied and made me look like a fool in front of other employees? He also promised they would give me a good reference and not fight the applying for umemployment. But I am still afraid they will. If they do say bad about me to others can I do anything legal against them then?

**A: yes you can sue but you will not win and you will lose all your money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not okay that he lied, but he did not break any laws by doing so. You would lose any legal action you tried to bring.

Ally2886

he got fired

My mother, who was in manger work for years, called and talked to the head manager and told him the way they handled them letting me go was very unprofessional and the assistant manager prooved he was not manager material by acting so umprofessional. She said if they fired me for not acting like they thought a waitress should then the assistant manager needed to be fired for the same and that customers that liked me might agree and bring their business elsewhere. The head manager must have agreed and the assistant manager was fired. I just learned mothers are better to go to with problems than legal help, as the law seems to be geared towards the employer.

JETX

Ally2886 said:
My mother, who was in manger work for years
Jesus was born in a manger!!

called and talked to the head manager and told him the way they handled them letting me go was very unprofessional and the assistant manager prooved he was not manager material by acting so umprofessional. She said if they fired me for not acting like they thought a waitress should then the assistant manager needed to be fired for the same and that customers that liked me might agree and bring their business elsewhere. The head manager must have agreed and the assistant manager was fired. I just learned mothers are better to go to with problems than legal help, as the law seems to be geared towards the employer.
Who cares?? None of that is relevant to the FACT that you have NO legal recourse against them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you really lucked out; in most cases having someone's mother call to complain that their child has been mistreated will result in absolutely no action being taken whatsoever. In fact, it generally results in the employee being looked on with disfavor as having taken inappropriate steps to resolve their situation.

JETX

HomeGuru said:
**A: good one. And we Three Kings.
Of Orient are!!

Actually, the three 'kings' were not from the Orient at all.
According to Matthew 2:1 came "from the east to Jerusalem".
It is generally believed that the came from or through Arabia or Yemen as frankincense and myrrh come from those two areas.

The gifts themselves have symbolism for Christians: frankincense is for Christ's divinity, gold is for his royalty, and myrrh is a symbol of his eventual Passion and death, since it was used to anoint corpses.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not to mention the fact that nowhere in the Bible does it mention how many kings there were. I guess people just assumed that there was one king per gift, but it's not specified as such anywhere.

JETX

cbg said:
Not to mention the fact that nowhere in the Bible does it mention how many kings there were. I guess people just assumed that there was one king per gift, but it's not specified as such anywhere.
You are correct.
Mathew:
"1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
art not the least among the princes of Judah: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel."

I lived in Yemen for a year... and brought back some frankincense and myrrh from there... but spent all my gold!! :D

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
You are correct.
Mathew:
"1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
art not the least among the princes of Judah: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel."

I lived in Yemen for a year... and brought back some frankincense and myrrh from there... but spent all my gold!! :D
Ahhh Jet, I hate to tell you but those hard round smelly things you brought back were NOT gold ;)

P

phogan315

JETX said:
Jesus was born in a manger!!

Who cares?? None of that is relevant to the FACT that you have NO legal recourse against them.

NO jesus was NOT born IN a manger, he was LAID in a manger AFTER his birth. DUH

Search for

Manger
Greek: phatne, rendered "stall" in Luke 13:15

(Luke 2:7, 12, 16)

Manger is the name given to the place where the infant Redeemer was laid. It seems to have been a stall or crib for feeding cattle. Stables and mangers in our modern sense were in ancient times unknown in the East. The Greek word here properly denotes "the ledge or projection in the end of the room used as a stall on which the hay or other food of the animals of travellers was placed."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">