• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about my Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamie05

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I worked for a newspaper place for paper delivering. My boss of the newspaper was also my previous landlord. Because we moved out and still owed her money does she have the right to fire me from my job and not pay me for the 4 weeks I delivered? She only payed me for one route and I had 3.

Now the Owner of the business wont return any of my calls.

She used the excuse that I didn't deliver the papers. I had 609 papers on my routes and I had them for 3 months. Now if I didn't deliver someone would have atleast complained. Well they didnt want to hear that so now I am trying to get ahold of Legal Aid.

If you can help please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Jamie05

seniorjudge

Q: Because we moved out and still owed her money does she have the right to fire me from my job and not pay me for the 4 weeks I delivered?

A: Yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I both agree and disagree with SJ.

Yes, she has the right to fire you. However, unless MI law is very different than most states, she still must pay you for any hours worked.

She is free to sue you for the money you owe her.

seniorjudge

cbg said:
I both agree and disagree with SJ.

Yes, she has the right to fire you. However, unless MI law is very different than most states, she still must pay you for any hours worked.

She is free to sue you for the money you owe her.
Methinks the boss lady done availed herself of self-help.

Poster will spend more money trying to get it back than what she kept.

Granted, she may have been legally incorrect, but I can't see any judge in small claims allowing our poster a judgment, then making them swap money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You could be right with regards to small claim court; in fact, I'm sure you are. I was thinking more along the lines of the state DOL.

You MIGHT be right with regards to them, too, but in MI I don't think it likely.

seniorjudge

cbg said:
You could be right with regards to small claim court; in fact, I'm sure you are. I was thinking more along the lines of the state DOL.

You MIGHT be right with regards to them, too, but in MI I don't think it likely.
I think this case is too complicated for DOL! :rolleyes: :p

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not if you separate the issues.

The DOL would be concerned only with the unpaid wages. The money owed to the boss by the poster is a separate issue that the DOL would not take on. That's for the court to settle.

seniorjudge

cbg said:
Not if you separate the issues.

The DOL would be concerned only with the unpaid wages. The money owed to the boss by the poster is a separate issue that the DOL would not take on. That's for the court to settle.
Agreed.....

Jamie05

yes but I am not 18. I was not the Head of Household on the lease. My mother was. I just dont see where she can garnish my wages without anything court ordered, and beings that I'm only 16 I dont see how she can even do it considering the fact I was not the one renting from her. My mother was. My mother had a lease with her for one year. We stayed there for two years and she never made up another lease. It expired in Jan. 2005 and she didnt make up another one. So being that she didn't even have a lease with us the last 10 months can she really prove that we still owe her money.

Also the only utility on that lease that was included was the heating bill. Now the first year we were there when we had the lease she broke it by making us pay for the heating bill.

If someone can help me please let me know lol.

Because I am not 18 yet, am I able to get unemployment till I can find another job?

Thank you all for your input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one said she could garnish your wages. If you call the state DOL, they will help you collect what she owes you.

Nothing you have said changes the fact that it was legal to fire you. It may not have been fair, but it was legal.

Since you are a minor and not named on the lease, any lawsuit she brought would be against your mother, not you.

New lease or no new lease, I doubt anyone would believe that she intended you to have the apartment for free, or that anyone would believe you didn't need to pay rent. There doesn't have to have been a lease for her to be able to show your family still owes her money.

Jamie05

thanks for the info on the renting situation.

But what my main concern is how can she take my pay? And would it be a good idea to go to a lawyer?

mlane58

Even though she did withhold your earned wages she can't do it legally. As cbg stated, you need to contact your state department of labor and file a compliant for unpaid wages. They should be able to assist you.

Good Luck!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What part of FILE A COMPLAINT WITH YOUR STATE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR do you not understand?

The state DOL is charged with investigating wage complaints. That's what they do. And they do it for free, which a lawyer does not.

Jamie05

look I didn't ask for cocky comments. IF I knew about all this law crap I sure as hell wouldn't have come in here. So I would appreciate it if you stop being so rude. Thank you.

And by the way thank you mlane58. I will check into that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">