• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employers paid "friend" to tape record me - fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

switty

I live in KS. My employer paid "my best friend" to tape record me (without me knowing) to get me to say some incriminating things about myself. I wasn't even serious when we were talking. I am in highschool and now realize I shouldn't have even joked about anything. This business hires and fires a lot. I asked my "friend" why and he said that he did it for revenge. My employers told him that I had a lot to do with him getting fired a few months back (which is not true). Is this legal what they did? Thank you.

seniorjudge

switty said:
I live in KS. My employer paid "my best friend" to tape record me (without me knowing) to get me to say some incriminating things about myself. I wasn't even serious when we were talking. I am in highschool and now realize I shouldn't have even joked about anything. This business hires and fires a lot. I asked my "friend" why and he said that he did it for revenge. My employers told him that I had a lot to do with him getting fired a few months back (which is not true). Is this legal what they did? Thank you.
How did the friend tape record you?

JETX

Kansas is a one-party state... which means the permission or knowledge of only one party is required. The issue of how they taped you is not relevant since this is NOT a legal proceeding.
Bottom line... your employer can terminate you for any reason they want... or for no reason at all (at will employment).
The fact that your friend recorded your conversation has nothing to do with the employers right... or the legality of the recording (if it were illegal... which it isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">