• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuzanneTexas

What is the name of your state? TX

Last week, I was forced off of the road into a pole by a driver who was attempting to turn around on a major highway. The other driver crossed over the lefthand lane of the highway into my lane (far right) and forced me off of the highway. They did not stop and render aid or give information. A school bus driver stopped and rendered aid and a professor at a major college followed the person, got the license plate, and pulled up beside the vehicle in order to positively identify the person. He then came back to the scene and gave the information to the officer responding to the scene. When the plates were run they came back to an unlisted number so the police department was sending the citation via mail. I hired a private investigator to get the address and then sent a certified letter to the owner of the vehicle (who was not the driver). It was delivered on Saturday (signature delivery confirmation). I have yet to hear from this person. A personal injury lawyer has agreed to represent me but I am worried about having a drivable vehicle (my vehicle is totalled) ... yes, I have allowed my insurance to lapse, I won't even bother explaining because I know you have heard it all ... but regardless, I am trying to do what I can to rectify this situation. I understand it could be long and drawn out.

Any suggestions?

What questions should I should ask before I sign a contract with a lawyer to represent me?

Do I need a seperate lawyer to handle the vehicle damage?

SuzanneTexas

I have still yet to hear from the owner of the vehicle. Is there an alloted amount of time that I should wait to hear from him?

Also, how will a personal injury lawyer help with the damage to my vehicle?

seniorjudge

Q: I have still yet to hear from the owner of the vehicle. Is there an alloted amount of time that I should wait to hear from him?

A: Yesterday.

Q: Also, how will a personal injury lawyer help with the damage to my vehicle?

A: This is figured in with the rest of the damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">