• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get paid for my damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cospina99

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania

Six weeks ago I was in a minor car accident. I was not at fault and the police came and made a report, which shows that I was not at fault. I am insured by a New Jersey insurance company and the person that hit me is insured through a company in Pennsylvania. I put a claim through the person's insurance company but they have not paid me for my damages yet. They are refusing to pay because they said that they have not been able to get in touch with their insured. They advised me to go through my own insurance, which I refuse to do since I was not at fault. Can they really refuse to pay me until they contact their insured? What are my options to get this resolved? Thank you.

Prblmsnparadise

Same scenario Oregon

Strangly, I am plagued by a similar scenario in Oregon. Seven weeks ago, I was involved in a rear end collision where another party(CA), hit my car from behind. I have been given the run around from that point forward. For six weeks, this insurance company said that they could not reach the other party to verify there was indeed an accident. I had a police report, but this was not good enough. I also was fed the line from my insurance that I could not file an uninsured motorist claim to get my car fixed, until the other insurance company verified that their party was uninsured and if I did file my rates would go up. At the beginning of last week, lo and behold they finally reached the other party and the details of the accident verified that their party was at fault. The adjuster that called me back last week said they would have someone call and then come out and appraise the damages to my car. A week later, no one has called me. I am not filing a medical claim, is this why it is taking so long? I am wondering if I should I call an attorney to expedite this process, even though the damages are less than $2000 or should I concede defeat and take the step to fix the car myself?

S

shell007

a car accident is not supposed to be "a trip to the ATM machine". Of course they would have to get intouch with the insured. Although you are probably telling the truth, the insurance company can't just take your word for it and start passing out checks.

S

shell007

Oh yeah! in addition....if the accident was clearly not your fault, your insurance rates can not go up. I was rear-ended with $14,000.00 in property damage. I claimed this on my insurance, my insurance paid, and then my company went after the at-fault driver's ins. company to get reimbursed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">