• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I sue my own sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PaPa

My sister was in a real jam and she needed $3,500.00 to not go to jail.She convinced my wife that if she would borrow the money on a credit card that she would pay us back at a rate of $300.00 per month.This has been over a year ago and we have not gotten anything back. I use to call her every month and she would lie to me and tell me that she had just sent a money order. Now thanks to caller ID she nolonger picks up the phone. This would be simpler except she lives 100 miles away from me. To make matters worse the whole family wants to stay out of it so we cant go home for holidays and such if she is going to be there because no one wants to be imbarresed by the situation.So can I sue her for failure to repay the loan?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PaPa said:
My sister was in a real jam and she needed $3,500.00 to not go to jail.She convinced my wife that if she would borrow the money on a credit card that she would pay us back at a rate of $300.00 per month.This has been over a year ago and we have not gotten anything back. I use to call her every month and she would lie to me and tell me that she had just sent a money order. Now thanks to caller ID she nolonger picks up the phone. This would be simpler except she lives 100 miles away from me. To make matters worse the whole family wants to stay out of it so we cant go home for holidays and such if she is going to be there because no one wants to be imbarresed by the situation.So can I sue her for failure to repay the loan?
My response:

You have no alternative. This is what happens when you deal with criminals - - even if it is your own sister. No one else stepped up to the batter's box - - and now you know why.

IAAL

HomeGuru

File a complaint then put a copy in a small box wrapped up with nice Christmas wrapping. Tie a nice card to the outside of the box saying "Do not open till Christmas". Then mail it to her.
Sit back and wait for her to call.

If you are really in the mood, you can put some cheap bells in the box for some special Holiday effects.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
File a complaint then put a copy in a small box wrapped up with nice Christmas wrapping. Tie a nice card to the outside of the box saying "Do not open till Christmas". Then mail it to her.
Sit back and wait for her to call.

If you are really in the mood, you can put some cheap bells in the box for some special Holiday effects.
My response:

I love it !!

Just make sure the hearing is scheduled for a date AFTER Christmas.

IAAL

needmymoney

I am in a similar situation with my sister and my husband wants me to sue her. At this point,she is so down and out that there would be no point. In your case though, I don't see why you can't be a part of the Holiday Get Togethers. If anything, you should be welcome for stepping up the plate and she should be unwelcome for putting everyone in this awkward situation. If you feel that she has the money and is just being irresponsible than by all means sue her. It might serve as a wake-up call to her and makes her straighten out other parts of her life.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

needmymoney said:
I am in a similar situation with my sister and my husband wants me to sue her. At this point,she is so down and out that there would be no point. In your case though, I don't see why you can't be a part of the Holiday Get Togethers. If anything, you should be welcome for stepping up the plate and she should be unwelcome for putting everyone in this awkward situation. If you feel that she has the money and is just being irresponsible than by all means sue her. It might serve as a wake-up call to her and makes her straighten out other parts of her life.

My response:

Thanks for letting us relive a 5 YEAR OLD POST!!

What the hell is wrong with you? Don't you think that in 5 years that this matter has been resolved?

Or, is it a matter of that you just didn't look at the date?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">