• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Speeding Ticket for NY Resident, Statute No. is incorrect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GaryLee

Hi, I was doing 86 mph in a 65 zone, in Allamuchy (county), NJ. My court date is Nov. 15, and I called a few lawyers who sent advertisements to be because they found out I recieved a ticket, thanks to the freedom of information act. I asked them and they told me, they would plea bargain for me and lessen the mph I was speeding by but that would be a guilty plea nonetheless. So I was thinking of representing myself because I recieved some very helpful information about arguing for dismissals and how the court processes work. OK, my question is, is an incorrect Statute No. grounds for an instant dismissal of the case? Is it a "Fatal Flaw"? The office wrote down Statue No. 4-98, which is for speeding in excess of 1-14 mph but I was speeding in excess of 15-29, Statute No. 4-99. When and where can I point this out and have the ticket dismissed? Another question, Do the points I recieve transfer over to NY jurisdiction, Will I recieve point deductions? Any Lawyers out there, please reply ASAP, Thanks.

Last edited:

GaryLee

no, im not 100% sure, i checked the websites of a few new jersey municipalities for the official statute no. and i found some saying that 4-98 and 4-99 were the same.

You Are Guilty

It might be dismissed on that basis, but it's a crapshoot to use that as your only defense, since the ticket/statute number can be easily amended to the correct one. And while NY will not record any points on your license if you are convicted, your insurance company may find out about the NJ conviction and raise your rates accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">