• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining work without a SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgalambv

Only if its "under-the -table"

Your employer doesn't care about your SS number Arizonian, its the tax collector. No SS number, no tax collected. No legitimate employer will hire you without an SS number.

The big question - why don't you have one?

Jon Ray

mlane58 said:
Was there supposed to be a legal question there?
My question to you is: Are there any requirements for private, non-government employers to require a SSN in order to be elegable for work.

tgalambv

You are right with that one. There is no law requiring you to have a SSN but there is the tax man. Don't you get it yet? Social security deductions are not optional. Federal tax is not optional. An employer is required by law to collect both - no exceptions.

On the other hand, there are only two entities that you are required to provide a SSN to - guess - your employer and your financial institution. Both for - tax collection.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law that says you have to have a SSN.

There is also no law that says an employer has to hire you. Not having a SSN is not a protected characteristic. So if an employer chooses not to hire you because you do not have a SSN, that is entirely legal.

You can fight the tax issue out with the IRS, yourself.

Last edited:

tgalambv

I need to test you on this one.

An employer does not simply have a choice. If they employ you, they must collect all federal and local taxes that are applicable. To do that, they must have a SSN to reference to the taxes as does a bank to reference interest or other income. If an employer does not collect taxes, they are violating the law. If a financial institution does not report interest or income relative to the SSN, they are also violating the law.

My point - there is no choice.

Also, this guy still will not answer the easiest question - why does he not have a SSN? I needed one when I was 5 to open my first bank account.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are correct. An employer must report all taxes to the appropriate agencies, and for that they need an SSN.

Since they have no obligation to put themselves in the position of violating the law, they have no obligation to hire someone who does not have or refuses to provide an SSN.

How the individual deals with the IRS is their problem.

However, that does not mean that there is a law sitting out there somewhere that makes it mandatory for every citizen of the US to have an SSN. If they want to refuse to get one and fails to pay their taxes, that's their business. But it's the failure to pay taxes that is the legal violation, not the failure to obtain an SSN.

U

UNPaidINLA

He is probably an illegal alien, alot of them are in arizona:

I can only think of one reason he woudlnt have to supply his SSN: and even then he probably would, however they wouldnt know about it untill the end of the year im guessing.

Become an independant contractor and have them file a 1099 misc. In this regards, you have to pay your own taxes, so its nolonger their concern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">