• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to signal intent to change lanes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corbyra

What is the name of your state? Texas

I got a ticket for failure to signal intent to change lanes. However, I changed lanes from the middle to the left because a vehicle in the right lane started to come over into the middle lane. I made a quick move to avoid an accident and did not have time to consider whether or not I was signalling. Is there any legal provision or precedence for this situation?

Also, at the time of the lane change, my car and the car coming into my lane were the only two cars on the road that I could see. I dont even know where the officer was at the time when he observed the lane change. Is there a deposition process where I could question the officer prior to the trial? If he tries to argue that I was not avoiding a collision, I would like to be able to question his vantage point since he was not directly behind me.

seniorjudge

corbyra said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I got a ticket for failure to signal intent to change lanes. However, I changed lanes from the middle to the left because a vehicle in the right lane started to come over into the middle lane. I made a quick move to avoid an accident and did not have time to consider whether or not I was signalling. Is there any legal provision or precedence for this situation?

Also, at the time of the lane change, my car and the car coming into my lane were the only two cars on the road that I could see. I dont even know where the officer was at the time when he observed the lane change. Is there a deposition process where I could question the officer prior to the trial? If he tries to argue that I was not avoiding a collision, I would like to be able to question his vantage point since he was not directly behind me.
Plead not guilty.

Get a lawyer.

Ask for a jury trial.

You will be able to have depositions before trial.

Altogether, it shouldn't cost more than $10K.

corbyra

The fine for the ticket is only $155 and I figured up that Deferred Disposition would cost about the same. So, I am not hiring a lawyer for this case. I am looking for information to help me fight it personally. I have read some information on "legal necessity" - indicating that if a situation called for a driver to take an action that broke a law but avoided a collision, the driver could be found not guilty. However, I dont know of any actual legal precedence for this.

If anyone has any Intelligible and Useful advice, I would appreciate it.

seniorjudge

corbyra said:
The fine for the ticket is only $155 and I figured up that Deferred Disposition would cost about the same. So, I am not hiring a lawyer for this case. I am looking for information to help me fight it personally. I have read some information on "legal necessity" - indicating that if a situation called for a driver to take an action that broke a law but avoided a collision, the driver could be found not guilty. However, I dont know of any actual legal precedence for this.

If anyone has any Intelligible and Useful advice, I would appreciate it.
Plead not guilty and have a trial.

At the trial, tell your story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">