• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of pocket expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

decroft

What is the name of your state? Illinois
On a contingent fee basis, it always appears that the client is ultimatley responsible for out of pocket costs, why? If a attorney is getting 25% to 40% of a huge settlement, why should the the client be required by state law to pay for out of pocket costs? Is there such a law, or is it just convention of lawyers to avoid spending their own money? And if there is such a law, what is the logic since I can't see any ethical reason why, but I can see a monetay one.

S

shell007

My responce,

I told my attorney that if I had the money to pay out-of-pocket.....I wouldn't be suing. He agreed to pay for me and then I can reimburse him in the end.

JETX

decroft said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
On a contingent fee basis, it always appears that the client is ultimatley responsible for out of pocket costs, why? If a attorney is getting 25% to 40% of a huge settlement, why should the the client be required by state law to pay for out of pocket costs? Is there such a law, or is it just convention of lawyers to avoid spending their own money? And if there is such a law, what is the logic since I can't see any ethical reason why, but I can see a monetay one.
There is no state law (that I am aware of) that requires a client to pay the out of pocket....

The logic behind client paid costs is simple....
Attorneys are already 'paying' in the time that they spend on bringing the case to resolution... and don't feel that they should also 'gamble' real out-of-pocket money.
Simply, if an attorney is risking ALL of his time in the event he were to lose the case, why should he also risk HIS cash... with no real 'risk' by the client.
It is your decision to pay the costs.... or go try to find another attorney who will 'front' them for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">