• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential Employer Requesting Previous W2 Before Making Offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nawlins

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I've interviewed three times with a company and the Regional Sales Manager verbally offered me the job and we agreed upon a base salary range of 55000-60000 plus 28000 in commission.

I got a call from HR today saying that they needed my 2004 W2 form so that they "can formulate an offer I'd be pleased with". I'm wondering why this is necessary? I've negotiated with the RSM already and I feel like they are trying to lowball me now because I made less at my previous position. I listed total compensation of 70000 on my application and my 2004 W2 says 65000. I shaded on the high side in case they tried to counter lower.

Is this legal? Do I have to provide them with my previous W2's? What are the consequences of not providing them with this info?

Thanks for your time,

ivy

seniorjudge

nawlins said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I've interviewed three times with a company and the Regional Sales Manager verbally offered me the job and we agreed upon a base salary range of 55000-60000 plus 28000 in commission.

I got a call from HR today saying that they needed my 2004 W2 form so that they "can formulate an offer I'd be pleased with". I'm wondering why this is necessary? I've negotiated with the RSM already and I feel like they are trying to lowball me now because I made less at my previous position. I listed total compensation of 70000 on my application and my 2004 W2 says 65000. I shaded on the high side in case they tried to counter lower.

Is this legal? Do I have to provide them with my previous W2's? What are the consequences of not providing them with this info?

Thanks for your time,

ivy

Q: I'm wondering why this is necessary?

A: So that they can formulate an offer you'd be pleased with. If you don't want the job, tell them to stuff it.

pattytx

Right. However, I also wonder about how much that really means. After all, there are a number of pre-tax deductions possible that reduce taxable wages, but aren't required to be shown on the W-2 (although 401K contributions are). In my humble opinion, you're worth what you're worth and what the company is willing to pay, no matter how much you've earned before. For example, when I accepted my current position, I got a nearly 40% increase from my previous job (although I'm now paying for it in stress level). :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">