• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personnel File Availability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enigmainva

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Does an employee, current or former, have the right to view the contents of their personnel file? If so, do they have the right to add information to it?

Thanks,

Enigma

Beth3

The information on this topic at Virginia's DOL website is confusing as heck but as far as I can make out, employees have the right to view their own personnel files. There is no information at the website whether an employee has the right to add anything to his or her file.

tgalambv

Personnel files are worthless pieces of paper. They are controlled by the employer who can add, delete or throw out the whole darn thing depending on how it will help them or not, if necessary.

To your question: My employer is in VA and they allow us to see it - with notice. Wonder why?

Don't bank on these doc's for help ever!

pattytx

Sheesh, what made you so cynical? If you're that concerned, keep a copy of everything you sign that could possibly be put in your file. However, the files are the company's property, after all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not to mention the fact that if they wanted to hide things from you, they don't have to agree to let you see the file in the first place.

Beth3

To your question: My employer is in VA and they allow us to see it - with notice. Wonder why?

Perhaps only to temporarily remove the references obtained from other employers when you were hired. Even in those States with laws that allow personnel file access, several documents are expressly excluded from being viewed by the employee and references are always among those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">