• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sc divorce law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michaeler

My ex wife and I were married in 1991, by a justice of the peace. We renewed our vows in a church in 1997. We got divorced in July, 2000. The final divorce order states that we were married in 1991, only. When we got married in the church I thought that nullified our marriage in 1991, or did it?? Since the marriage from 1991 no longer existed after we got married in 1997, did we ever get divorced from the 1997 wedding?? Are we still legally married??? please help, thanks in sc

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

michaeler said:

My ex wife and I were married in 1991, by a justice of the peace. We renewed our vows in a church in 1997. We got divorced in July, 2000. The final divorce order states that we were married in 1991, only. When we got married in the church I thought that nullified our marriage in 1991, or did it?? Since the marriage from 1991 no longer existed after we got married in 1997, did we ever get divorced from the 1997 wedding?? Are we still legally married??? please help, thanks in sc
My response:

That's a good one. I love your logic.

But, no. Your "renewal" of your vows has no "legal meaning" in the eyes of the law - - perhaps in God's eyes, but not the law.

Your marriage, by law, always has been measured from 1991. Renewing one's vows never nullifies a previous marriage date. The only thing that "nullifies" a marriage is either divorce or annulment. Since you've never been divorced from your 1991 marriage, you're still married as measured from 1991.

Excellent thoughts and argument. But, no cigar.

IAAL

M

michaeler

Thanks for the insight. After reading your response I realized what I said was wrong. We did not renew our vows, we actually filled out forms to annul our 1991 marriage and applied to the church for a marriage certificate. we cancelled our 1991 wedding, we filled out a few forms with the church. I am confused, are we still married? We did get divorced in July, 2000, but it only mentioned the 1991. Please give more insight, thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

michaeler said:

Thanks for the insight. After reading your response I realized what I said was wrong. We did not renew our vows, we actually filled out forms to annul our 1991 marriage and applied to the church for a marriage certificate. we cancelled our 1991 wedding, we filled out a few forms with the church. I am confused, are we still married? We did get divorced in July, 2000, but it only mentioned the 1991. Please give more insight, thanks
My response:

Sorry. You only get one shot. Talk to your divorce attorney. Now I'm moving on to the next writer.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">