• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I hold realtor responsible also??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJF

What is the name of your state?R.I. Hello, I own and operate a small cleaning service and was recently contacted by a local realtor ( I do mostly real estate work) to clean a condo, I met with the realtor and the buyer gave an acceptable quote and was booked to do the job the following month. During this quote the realtor informed me this was her first sale and if the carpets ran extra she would pay for it because this was her first sale and it was a nightmare. I returned the following month did the job without any gas or hot water (I wasn't told there was a problem getting the utilites on). Long story short the buyer has yet to pay me I contacted the realtor several times to get her client's last name so I could take her to small claims court to get paid, the realtor refused to give me her last name over several attempts to resolve this (turns out the buyer is her pregnant 19 year old cousin) and kept repeating she didn't want to be in the middle, but the realtor is the one who contacted me, I didn't think getting her last name would be such an issue. I have since gotten the last name of the buyer and am gathering what I hope I will need to go to court ( I have never actually had to take a customer to court)
I am sorry so long but can I also take the realtor to small claims court along with her cousin/client so someone is held responsible for my fee??
Thank You
DJF

dcatz

can I also take the realtor to small claims court along with her cousin/client so someone is held responsible for my fee??
Yes to taking the realtor to court, because you're free to name and serve her.
No to holding her liable, because you have no basis for asserting liability on the part of the realtor.
(You didn't ask but) Yes, you could end up being liable to the realtor for her costs of defense.

The realtor gave you a job referral. Happens all the time. If it had worked out, you'd be thanking her. You met the buyer. You made the agreement with the buyer. And the buyer stiffed you. The buyer owes you.

You can't make the realtor liable because the buyer is her cousin or because the realtor wouldn't help you identify her cousin. Same facts but a total stranger to you both and you get the same result.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">