• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket-IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazmina79

What is the name of your state? Illinois

-I got pulled over today for speeding in River Grove, IL.
It was a detective cop car, I didnt even know they had authority to write tickets. He said I was going 55 in a 30 mph zone.
-I received a second ticket for failure to signal while switching lanes. I believe the speeding part but I dont believe the failure to signal part. I always always use my signal, even unconsciously when a street curves.
-I have a clean record, have never ever ever been pulled over before and before I even got a chance to explain this fact, he had handed me the ticket.
-I am not experienced with traffic court. Do I plead guilty and request supervision? How does that all work? How much $$ are we talking? I dont want anything on my superclean record. I dont know how much the tix are for but I am a student who is way broke.
-I have read that you can request for continuances in hope that the officer won't show and your ticket will be automatically dismissed. I have also read that you can request certification of the last calibration date for the radar gun and that the ticket may be dismissed if it is not within one month of the date your ticket was issued.
-What's my best bet?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

jazmina79 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I got pulled over today for speeding in River Grove, IL.
It was a detective cop car, I didnt even know they had authority to write tickets. He said I was going 55 in a 30 mph zone. I received a second ticket for failure to signal while switching lanes. I believe the speeding part but I dont believe the failure to signal part. I always always use my signal, even unconsciously when a street curves. I have a clean record, have never ever ever been pulled over before and before I even got a chance to explain this fact, he had handed me the ticket.
I am not experienced with traffic court. Do I plead guilty and request supervision? How does that all work? How much $$ are we talking? I dont want anything on my superclean record. I dont know how much the tix are for but I am a student who is way broke.
I have read that you can request for continuances in hope that the officer won't show. I have also read that you can request certification of the last calibration date for the radar gun.
What's my best bet?
**A: how do you know the cop used a radar?

jazmina79

The first thing he said to me was, that he was pulling me over for speeding. My lame reply was, "I wasn't speeding, I was going with the flow of traffic." Then he told me I was going 55 in a 30 mph zone, my next lame reply was, "I was just accelerating as the traffic light had just turned green", since he flashed his lights and pulled me over right after an intersection. He said that he got me way back before the intersection and said "I have it on radar, do you want to see it?" and then I just gave up with my lame excuses and said No.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">