• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would a service mark be a trademark infringement with the same name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dusktilldawn

My question is about trademark and service-mark infringement

I was looking into using a name for my service business that was being used by a magazine company. The answer does not look good for using the same name unless......
I read some information about Service-marks that receive the same legal protection as trademarks but are meant to distinguish services rather than products. This company has a trademark on their magazine and written material(products)and I do not see any reference to a service-mark. Their listing under type of mark is just for a trademark and not a service mark. I would be using this name for a service business - would this be a way of being able to use the name if I register it as a service mark?
If that is a possibility then I would still have written material (menu) which would list my services - would that infringe on their trademark?

HomeGuru

If a company already holds a registered trademark/tradename, then you are barred from using the same name. any use by you would constitute infringement.
For example if my name HomeGuru was a registered tradename, you could not use the same name in your business as a service mark. Evenif you register the name as a service mark I could still sue your dusk and dawn for infringement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">