• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a written salary offer qualify as a 12 month contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbuffo3860

What is the name of your state?I was teminated from a Manager's position in Ohio after only 8 months for the vague reason, "Poor Performance". Being that I relocated for this position after a receiving written offer of yearly salary etc...is the company that terminated me obligated to pay me for 12 months?

Beth3

If you are asking whether the employer expressing your compensation as an annual figure obligates them to pay you for an entire year, the answer is no.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's a 99.5% chance that the answer to your question is no, your employer does not have to pay you for any time after your last day of work. In the VERY large majority of situations, an offer letter is not a contract and does not obligate your employer to continue paying you after you are no longer employed.

However, if you believe that the wording of the specific letter implies that you will be paid for 12 months regardless, you are free to show the letter to a local attorney and see if he agrees with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">