• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding- the officer lied to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambrehan

:confused: What is the name of your state? Indiana I was given a speeding for doing about 50 in a 30. This is how it takes place.Myself and the officer were going in opposite directions which we met on top of a hill, at that point once he had passed I noticed he turned his lights on and turned around. (I did'nt think he was coming after me.) He pulled me over at my home and told me that a helicopter had radioed him that a black chevy was doing about 50. He never gave an exact # he just said about 50. I said I didnt see a helicopter, and if there was one how did he know I was the only blk. chevy. He assured me I was the only one on the road and that there was a helicopter that told him. After investigating and calling his cheif I found out there are no radar helicopter in my area (I asked for transcripts ). After the chief questioned the officer He has since denied telling me that there was a copter and dosn't know where Im getting my information. My question What can I do about this and what kind of information do I need to detest this? I was not speeding. I was doing 36mph.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

cambrehan said:
:confused: What is the name of your state? Indiana I was given a speeding for doing about 50 in a 30. This is how it takes place.Myself and the officer were going in opposite directions which we met on top of a hill, at that point once he had passed I noticed he turned his lights on and turned around. (I did'nt think he was coming after me.) He pulled me over at my home and told me that a helicopter had radioed him that a black chevy was doing about 50. He never gave an exact # he just said about 50. I said I didnt see a helicopter, and if there was one how did he know I was the only blk. chevy. He assured me I was the only one on the road and that there was a helicopter that told him. After investigating and calling his cheif I found out there are no radar helicopter in my area (I asked for transcripts ). After the chief questioned the officer He has since denied telling me that there was a copter and dosn't know where Im getting my information. My question What can I do about this and what kind of information do I need to detest this?
Okay, you were speeding and got caught.

You want to get out of it.

I don't see any way you can get out of it.

Detest all you want.

cambrehan

I was not speeding .I was doing between 35 & 37. What about the crediability of the officer in question.

Motherto6

Didn't you just post that you were going 35 or 37 in a 30mph zone? Is that not speeding? Perhaps you misunderstand what the posted speed limit means. It does NOT mean, "Hey, we suggest that you go no faster than this." What it does mean is, "We have spent thousands of tax payer dollars to review what the appropriate speed would be in this particular area. We have come to the conclusion that 30 is as fast as anyone should be driving through here. If you chose to disregard this posted speed limit, you will be caught and forced to pay a fine."
Does that answer your question?

cambrehan

what I am tring to figure out is if the officer accutualy even had his radar on, or if he was just wanting to give a random ticket. I dont see how he could radar me at an instant meeting, and then Im tring to figure out why he would lie about a helicopter radioing him about me . I wonder about his creditabilty of being honest about my ticket.

Motherto6

Yeah, and I wonder about YOUR credibility and being honest about speeding.
Do you think that the there is a conspiracy against you with the helicopter pilot and the police officer? Maybe they have been watching you for DAYS and just waiting to "set you up".
How would you even see a helicopter pacing you when you were not looking for it? You wouldn't. They don't fly down in front of you with a big sign and say, "Hey, naughty boy, you are speeding and I caught you!"
PAY THE FINE SPEEDER!!! Or better yet, don't pay the fine and definitely tell the Judge about the conspiracy!

Pugilist

It looks like you're not gonna get any advice here, at least from the people who have posted so far.

But I will give some advice. Go to library and check out all the books you can find on how to fight a ticket.

One of them will tell you that if you want to see whatever notes the officer made on the back of the ticket, you can do a Discovery. Discovery is very easy to do.

Motherto6 posted that the 30 mph limit is absolute, and therefore your admitted 37 mph is speeding, slam dunk. It's not. The law is flexible, as it should always be. You can go faster than 30, but you have to justify it, based upon the weather, the traffic, etc. And sometimes, if it's a blizzard, or foggy, you can be ticketed for doing 25 in a posted 30.

Pug

cambrehan

to Motherto6 THERE Are No Helicopters That Radar In My Area.!!!! He Lied!!! Didnt you read the first thread? Why so bitter.

Last edited:

gawm

police officers are allowed to lie to suspects while questioning them. in fact, it is standard practice to see if the suspect changes there story. it's perfectly legal

BelizeBreeze

cambrehan said:
to Motherto6 THERE Are No Helicopters That Radar In My Area.!!!! He Lied!!! Didnt you read the first thread? Why so bitter.
You have the option to hire an attorney and fight the ticket. The problem you will have is that the moment you assert there was no helicopter the judge is going to ask you "what does that matter?" or "And how do you know?"

And, unless you have proof of your assertion, the simple fact is you were speeding (by your own admission and by the ticket showing the location and the speed limit at that location) and you will be found guilty.

If you don't believe me then hire an attorney and be ready to pay up to $1,000 for a fine that should only cost about $100. That is also your right.

Motherto6

I would not say I am bitter, just tired of people trying to find a way to get out of being accountable for their actions. You were speeding, you got caught, and now you want to pin it on the officer? Why not just step up to the plate, admit you were wrong and pay the DARN fine? That is what grown ups do. We take responsibility for the things we do.

Oh yeah, PUG... whatever your handle is... try that one with an officer the next time you get pulled over. "Well you see officer, the laws are flexible and that there speed sign does not really mean that I have to go that speed because I am special. I was traveling at the rate of speed that I determined to be the best one for me. You know there were all of these variables."
I'm sure that will fly real well. The speed is posted for a reason. Just because most people go over a little does not make it right. It is still speeding. It is solely at the discretion of the officer as to if they will ticket you, and if you have an attitude like yours, I bet you get the ticket!!!

CarrieT

Motherto6 said:
Yeah, and I wonder about YOUR credibility and being honest about speeding.
Do you think that the there is a conspiracy against you with the helicopter pilot and the police officer? Maybe they have been watching you for DAYS and just waiting to "set you up".
How would you even see a helicopter pacing you when you were not looking for it? You wouldn't. They don't fly down in front of you with a big sign and say, "Hey, naughty boy, you are speeding and I caught you!"
PAY THE FINE SPEEDER!!! Or better yet, don't pay the fine and definitely tell the Judge about the conspiracy!
There is a HUGE difference in the cost of the FINE for going 20 miles over the speed limit and going 6.
Additionally, the OP stated that she called the department and was told that there was no helicopter, so 'conspiracy theory' notwithstanding, the officer lied to her. Thats NOT unheard of.

Fight it. There are resources out there to help you with that. As Pugilist says, go to the library or search on the net - at best you can probably get it reduced if not dismissed.

Pay no mind to the posters who are nasty :)
Carrie

BelizeBreeze

CarrieT said:
There is a HUGE difference in the cost of the FINE for going 20 miles over the speed limit and going 6.
Additionally, the OP stated that she called the department and was told that there was no helicopter, so 'conspiracy theory' notwithstanding, the officer lied to her. Thats NOT unheard of.

Fight it. There are resources out there to help you with that. As Pugilist says, go to the library or search on the net - at best you can probably get it reduced if not dismissed.

Pay no mind to the posters who are nasty :)
Carrie
Wonderful LEGAL advice. And it's based on WHICH state statue?

sukharev

it' a wonderful advice

BelizeBreeze said:
You have the option to hire an attorney and fight the ticket.
Wonderful LEGAL advice, must have come from an attorney :)

BelizeBreeze said:
The problem you will have is that the moment you assert there was no helicopter the judge is going to ask you "what does that matter?" or "And how do you know?"
It does matter, judge: the ticket was issued on basis of measurement by helicopter, and if there was none - no measurement!

Of course, everything you say about what officer said during the stop is a hearsay, so no proof on your side either, unless the ticket identified a radar unit and operator. Get the full detail by discovery - police must have records on the radar and how it was used.

BelizeBreeze said:
And, unless you have proof of your assertion, the simple fact is you were speeding (by your own admission and by the ticket showing the location and the speed limit at that location) and you will be found guilty.
You are not guilty until proven so, and standards of evidence do apply. Do not admit anything, and plead not guilty, then ask for documentation needed to prove pace car or aircraft measurements (like police car speedometer calibration). Also, make officer state time and distance measurements, and beat him using those (to defeat his visual observation assertion). Get his training records too, see when he was last certified to visually observe speed out of his car (likely never!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">